The Student Room Group

Birmingham or Cambridge for medicine

Hi all,

I'm about to submit my application to study medicine, but I am still unsure about my fourth choice.
I though that I didn't want to apply to oxbridge due to the lack of patient contact in the firth three years. However, I feel that the academic challenge of cambridge would suit me and I'm increasingly inclined to apply there. My alternative is Birmingham, but I wasn't that impressed by it!
So my question is whether I should go for cambridge or stick with the slightly safer option of birmingham?
Many thanks and good luck to everyone applying this year.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hard to say without more information. Stats?
Reply 2
Original post by HCubed
Hard to say without more information. Stats?

oops sorry!
9A*s at Gcse, A in FSMQ
As: 5As (biology, chemistry, maths, further maths, english lit)
UMS average of 98% for best three sciences
Likely to be predicted 4A*s
Original post by maybeamedic
oops sorry!
9A*s at Gcse, A in FSMQ

You'll be good to apply to either with those stats, so both are on the table! It's true that the Cambridge-course involves a level of scientific rigour that others don't, but a question you want to ask is: do you want to study that level of scientific rigour that you may soon forget throughout your clinical years? Keeping in mind that Birmingham, from what I've heard from students on this forum, is a fairly in-depth course as well? :tongue:

Other things to think about are the city, assessment, things like that. Do you want to live in a large urban city? Or a smaller town? Do you want a 5 year course, or a 6 year course? Do you mind having to reapply to medical school after 3 years of the degree, or no?
Reply 4
oops sorry!
9A*s at Gcse, A in FSMQ

Your stats are fine for Cambridge, although B'ham would be a very good safety option. I guess it just depends on how confident you are about your other 3 choices and the BMAT - even with good stats a safety option is worth considering.
Reply 5
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
You'll be good to apply to either with those stats, so both are on the table! It's true that the Cambridge-course involves a level of scientific rigour that others don't, but a question you want to ask is: do you want to study that level of scientific rigour that you may soon forget throughout your clinical years? Keeping in mind that Birmingham, from what I've heard from students on this forum, is a fairly in-depth course as well? :tongue:

Other things to think about are the city, assessment, things like that. Do you want to live in a large urban city? Or a smaller town? Do you want a 5 year course, or a 6 year course? Do you mind having to reapply to medical school after 3 years of the degree, or no?

Thank you for the reply. I'm really unsure what I want from the course at the moment but they're some really helpful things to have a think about. I looked at Birmingham due to the fact that it is still quite a scientific lecture style course, hence why I'm now wondering whether I should just go for the fully traditional course at Cambridge. Also, I don't think I can picture myself at Birmingham!
Reply 6
Original post by HCubed
Your stats are fine for Cambridge, although B'ham would be a very good safety option. I guess it just depends on how confident you are about your other 3 choices and the BMAT - even with good stats a safety option is worth considering.

I have a strong UKCAT that should hopefully secure me a couple of interviews! I haven't done any BMAT prep yet so that may be a risk.
Thank you for the reply. I'm really unsure what I want from the course at the moment but they're some really helpful things to have a think about. I looked at Birmingham due to the fact that it is still quite a scientific lecture style course, hence why I'm now wondering whether I should just go for the fully traditional course at Cambridge. Also, I don't think I can picture myself at Birmingham!

Another big thing to think about then is why Cambridge instead of Oxford? Both offer quite traditional courses with a similar structure!

Why can't you picture yourself at Birmingham? :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Another big thing to think about then is why Cambridge instead of Oxford? Both offer quite traditional courses with a similar structure!

Why can't you picture yourself at Birmingham? :smile:

Just a gut feeling towards Cambridge!

I didn't get the best feel from it on the open day, and the city is just so big!
Just a gut feeling towards Cambridge!

I didn't get the best feel from it on the open day, and the city is just so big!

If you can't picture yourself at Birmingham go for Cambridge.
Reply 10
Original post by Okorange
If you can't picture yourself at Birmingham go for Cambridge.

But it feels like such a risk! And I haven't done anything for BMAT.

Oh if you haven't done anything for BMAT then forget it. Its probably too late now.
Reply 12
Original post by Okorange
Oh if you haven't done anything for BMAT then forget it. Its probably too late now.

How long should you spend preparing for the BMAT then?
How long should you spend preparing for the BMAT then?

I never took it so i'm not sure, but I would suspect that you'll want to have more than a month.

You have plenty of time to revise for the BMAT, just start sometime soon. :smile:
Reply 15
I hope so! I think I may apply to Cambridge. I'll have to pay the higher BMAT entry fee now though :frown:
Reply 16
I hope so! I think I may apply to Cambridge. I'll have to pay the higher BMAT entry fee now though :frown:

Just take the punt at Cambridge, you are clearly sorely tempted to.

I apologise for the awful pun, it was not intentional (originally :colone:).
Reply 17
Cambridge!! Your stats are great for it!

You got loads of time to prepare for the BMAT don't worry.
Reply 19
Thank you everyone :smile: I decided to apply to Cambridge and see how it goes!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending