The Student Room Group

I can't do the reading :(

qI'm in my first year doing business. I commute to uni on the bus for like half an hour as I am living at home. I suffer with ME and the after effects of a head injury, this is basically why I stayed at home.

I can't cope with all the reading. I didn't do business last year either so I don't really have a clue what I'm doing. I've been told to read chapters 1 and 4 in a book for just one module and it's over 100 pages in total. we take our first exams and assessments before Christmas so it's about 9 weeks away. obviously because of my condition I qualify for DSA allowance and they have requested a software to help me with the reading but I still don't remeber anything Ive read. I can't carry the book either they are just too heavy, I have bruises on my hips and legs where I carried my books around all day yesterday and I'm really not up for that. I also feel like the course is not really interesting me, I really wanted to do nursing or occupational therapy but due to illness I know I'm not well enough to take a medical course.

i don't really know what to do about the reading, how does everyone else cope with so much to read?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Get a friend (or stranger) to read it to you.
Reply 2
Could you photocopy those chapters, and just take them in with you?

What time limit have you got for reading them, when are they expected to be read by?

Is it your ME which is affecting your motivation to read mostly, or do you just not have your heart in the course anyway? :smile:
This may not be what you want to hear, but I personally wouldn't do a degree that I have no interest in. Are you willing to be bored senseless for another 2/3 years?
Reply 4
I have until next week to do the reading and I haven't really met anyone to ask them to read for me.

I think I am going to give it until christmas, if I still don't like it and struggle with it then I think I am probably going to drop out. Maybe do a medical course next year.
During my first year of my previous degree, I was being told to do readings. I can't. Anything seems more interesting than reading to me and when I do I get so bored I don't take it in. I ended up not really doing these unless I was really interested in the specific reading. I came out of the module with a 2:1 so I guess it paid off.

Everyone has different learning styles but it definitely helps when you're actually interested in the subject that you're reading at uni. If you have a word with your personal academic tutor they may be able to help. If they can't then have a word with the student support body within your university.

Universities have services which are there to help! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending