The Student Room Group

Leaving uni after first year

Hi,
I have completed my first year doing Natural Sciences at Cambridge, and am about to go into my second year.
However, I am not sure if I want to go back - I have always wanted to do physics (I really didn't enjoy the other courses I had to take for natural sciences), but I have been told by my tutor that because second year physics is very difficult I might want to consider taking something else instead. I struggled in my first year and got a 2.2 in both physics and maths, but my other two modules brought my grade down to a third overall. It is recommended you don't take double physics in second year unless you get a 2.1, so my tutors suggestion is to take one physics module, maths and one completely different module, meaning I can only do half subject physics in third year.
Besides this, I feel I just don't cope with the pressure of Cambridge work very well. I tend to suffer with self- esteem issues while I am there, which I find hard to overcome/ignore because I am constantly having to ask others for help and struggle to keep up in pretty much everything, as I am quite a bit slower than most of the people there.

Other than going back, I think my only option is to take a year out and start again, and I was wondering if anyone knew about how this would work? Would universities require a reference from Cambridge and look at my university grades, or would it just go on A-level?
If it does go on university grades, are there many universities that would accept a third?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, as I don't know what to do and can't seem to find much information.
Thanks
Reply 1
Would switching to chemical engineering be an option?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I'd probably try and get out now, and reapply for a Physics course at a standard RG/redbrick/whatever university. If you don't actually want to do the other parts then doing Natural Sciences isn't really... much use to you, and it's somewhat clear either the atmosphere, workload, expectations, or a combination of, are pulling you down. You'd probably benefit from a slightly less intense setup, that actually focuses mainly on the subject area you actually want.

Your tutor might give you a reference, not entirely sure about the best way, but I imagine they will be supportive. It's not a lie to say you were better/acceptable at Maths and Physics, but clearly didn't have the interest in the rest.

I think universities look at everything, but your A-levels are likely to be at least A*AA i'm guessing. Your first year grades don't reflect well, but if you're restarting from first year then i'd think they're less concerned about that - first year grades are mainly paramount for second year transfers.

Edit: I know someone who was asked to leave from second year of Oxford Chemistry, for failing on the Maths, and quite happily got accepted at Liverpool and then did very well. The environment and intensity can make a huge difference.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending