The Student Room Group

Family issues, whats your view point

Quick background, I'll soon be 18 and Im a female.

A man cannot pick and choose when to be a father.

Basically, my father left me before I was even born so I know absolutely nothing about him. How he looks, what his name is... nothing.
Growing up, I never questioned where my father was and I never felt like I should meet him. I was and am happy with just being in a household with only my mum and half sister. So anyway, just the other day my mum informed me that my dad sent a letter through the door saying things like "thanks for looking after my daughter, please give her my number" which I found to be completely rude and cheeky, as if to say to my mum "thanks! you've done the hard bit of the child labour, now its my turn to reap what YOU'VE sewn", from a womans perspective; my mothers, i just can't allow him to try and come into contact with me after all my mums hard work, financially and emotionally with me. That is HER work, not shared with any man or woman. Which is one of the reasons I dont want to call him or have any contact with him. Not only that but to be honest, I have always been happy in my life without a father figure. It's not as if I am deprived of a father figure because I have never met him and had that sort of connection in the first place, so if I was to miss this chance of contact with him I really wouldn't care and I'm not the sort to chase after people.
And another question is why does he all of a sudden want to talk to me just as Im about to turn 18? Why when I'll be going to university the following year? Every part of my success in life is only to be shared with my mother and people that have been in my life to help me. I hope he is not wanting to talk to me to try and worm himself into my life now that I am en route to doing great things. Anyway not only that but he should know Im old enough to know that a man can't decide when its suitable for him to be a dad.

So whats your viewpoint and what do you think i should do?
If I was in your position, the first thing I'd do is find out what kind of income and wealth levels he has. Wealthy and off a high income then have a relationship as well as mine him for all he is worth. A poor bastard, then tell him you're not interested. Goodbye.
Original post by CherelleFairuz
Quick background, I'll soon be 18 and Im a female.

A man cannot pick and choose when to be a father.

Basically, my father left me before I was even born so I know absolutely nothing about him. How he looks, what his name is... nothing.
Growing up, I never questioned where my father was and I never felt like I should meet him. I was and am happy with just being in a household with only my mum and half sister. So anyway, just the other day my mum informed me that my dad sent a letter through the door saying things like "thanks for looking after my daughter, please give her my number" which I found to be completely rude and cheeky, as if to say to my mum "thanks! you've done the hard bit of the child labour, now its my turn to reap what YOU'VE sewn", from a womans perspective; my mothers, i just can't allow him to try and come into contact with me after all my mums hard work, financially and emotionally with me. That is HER work, not shared with any man or woman. Which is one of the reasons I dont want to call him or have any contact with him. Not only that but to be honest, I have always been happy in my life without a father figure. It's not as if I am deprived of a father figure because I have never met him and had that sort of connection in the first place, so if I was to miss this chance of contact with him I really wouldn't care and I'm not the sort to chase after people.
And another question is why does he all of a sudden want to talk to me just as Im about to turn 18? Why when I'll be going to university the following year? Every part of my success in life is only to be shared with my mother and people that have been in my life to help me. I hope he is not wanting to talk to me to try and worm himself into my life now that I am en route to doing great things. Anyway not only that but he should know Im old enough to know that a man can't decide when its suitable for him to be a dad.

So whats your viewpoint and what do you think i should do?

If I were you, I would use this opportunity to tell him exactly what you think of him.

Out of interest, does your half sister have contact with her dad?
Original post by stargirl63
If I were you, I would use this opportunity to tell him exactly what you think of him.

Out of interest, does your half sister have contact with her dad?

Hmm you're right but tbh he's not worth my time and energy at all
and yeah she does although he was always in and out of her life when she was younger. Like any other useless dad he's abit more active with her now. Trying to call the house everyday and even telling her off sometimes lmao, overstepping his boundaries really
Original post by Alfissti
If I was in your position, the first thing I'd do is find out what kind of income and wealth levels he has. Wealthy and off a high income then have a relationship as well as mine him for all he is worth. A poor bastard, then tell him you're not interested. Goodbye.

Lmao this made me laugh :biggrin:. You're thinking in my language.. Well tbh Im not really bothered to start making him a problem of mine, but if I decide to Ill do exactly what you said :smile:

Thanks
I can't agree more with you about his way to write the letter. It sounded rude and cheeky.
I would of put it as "our daughter" and not "my daughter".

If I were you I would meet him up and give it a shot to be honest. I'd rather do that than later wonder what he looks like, what his name is and perhaps an answer of why he left. After all he's your father. ;o

Lmao this made me laugh :biggrin:. You're thinking in my language.. Well tbh Im not really bothered to start making him a problem of mine, but if I decide to Ill do exactly what you said :smile:

Thanks

I'm just being realistic.

Generally very little good can come from such types of situations. Don't be surprised if he is a poor bastard that suddenly he would be asking you for a loan instead.

Call me materialistic or an ass but lived long enough to have seen enough that it just isn't worth it. If he was really interested in being a father he would have done so LONG LONG ago especially if there was nothing preventing him from doing so.
Original post by RKelicious
I can't agree more with you about his way to write the letter. It sounded rude and cheeky.
I would of put it as "our daughter" and not "my daughter".

If I were you I would meet him up and give it a shot to be honest. I'd rather do that than later wonder what he looks like, what his name is and perhaps an answer of why he left. After all he's your father. ;o

i know right!
hmm i think that would be true if i was an emotional person. i highly doubt ill wonder how he looks like in the future or why he left.
Hmm you're right but tbh he's not worth my time and energy at all
and yeah she does although he was always in and out of her life when she was younger. Like any other useless dad he's abit more active with her now. Trying to call the house everyday and even telling her off sometimes lmao, overstepping his boundaries really

Interesting that your sisters dad wants to play a bigger part in her life as she is older, just like your dad.

Clearly, your mum has a type.
Interesting that your sisters dad wants to play a bigger part in her life as she is older, just like your dad.

That isn't really anything terribly unusual. Plenty of men abandon their kids with their ex-lover and then look for those kids again when they are older. Almost always it happens when they are between relationships.
Original post by Alfissti
That isn't really anything terribly unusual. Plenty of men abandon their kids with their ex-lover and then look for those kids again when they are older. Almost always it happens when they are between relationships.

I would like to know their train of thought with this though...is it that they are mentally and emotionally more mature to deal with children? Is it that they regret what they have done? Is it that perhaps the grass was not greener? I know a fair few people who this has happened to as well, bf included.

Thats hardly the case actually. If a man makes himself out to be something he's not, basically decieving my mum its hardly her fault.

If she knew that they'd be non exsistent in our lives do you think she'd really stay?

It happens to lots of women. Some, maybe because thats their type..others, just badluck w. men.
Thats hardly the case actually. If a man makes himself out to be something he's not, basically decieving my mum its hardly her fault.

If she knew that they'd be non exsistent in our lives do you think she'd really stay?

It happens to lots of women. Some, maybe because thats their type..others, just badluck w. men.

Agreed - it is pure deception tbh.

Good luck OP!
If it were me, I'd want to meet him because I'd be curious. But if you don't I don't see why you should.
I would like to know their train of thought with this though...is it that they are mentally and emotionally more mature to deal with children? Is it that they regret what they have done? Is it that perhaps the grass was not greener? I know a fair few people who this has happened to as well, bf included.

It goes far beyond that.

Most men are about as mature at 40 as they were at 20, the only difference is their toys cost far more :smile:

Regret and remorse may or may not be a reason for reconnection.

However the main reason generally is to do with responsibility and resources. Once a child is 14-18 there are far less requirements to look after in terms of outright responsibility, no time to show up for visitation? No worries he will understand. Don't feel like picking him up from school? no worries he could get on the bus. Generally you can't do that to a 3 year old. In terms of resources, hardly any is required as you could put it as meeting up with a "mate" for a McD or perhaps a cinema trip or so, all it will cost you as the "father" is the cost of the outing, a big difference to needing to be there for that child from young and to keep paying for everything.

Sometimes the reason might be rather pragmatic. He is simply letting time heal all wounds. Perhaps he had a bad breakup with the mother and it was simply the best thing to do at the time. While pulling away and all out is indeed unfair to the child many men opt to do it so wounds could heal and they could rebuild their own life as well. The time he shows up he is simply hoping everything is forgotten, granted this is rarely the case as the child would had been fed on a cocktail of all kinds of tales of what type of person the father is.

Often it isn't that he doesn't want to meet the child but the mother prevented it from happening. He is banking on it that once the child is 15/16 when he shows up that the child makes their own decision as to whether to see him or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending