The Student Room Group

Kim Jong-un 'so fat he has fractured his ankles'

Good headline in the Torygraph. :lol:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/northkorea/11131885/Kim-Jong-un-so-fat-he-has-fractured-his-ankles.html

One thing that annoyed me and puzzled me in this story is that apparently a team of European doctors are busy trying to revive his Supreme Rotundity. I don't much like the idea of medics from the EU flying to the People's Paradise to restore the Dear Leader to his normal murderous self. Surely this should be stopped? Isn't this a case of aiding and assisting one of the worst individuals in the worst regimes in the world?

Scroll to see replies

Private (and even public) European doctors have no obligation to act in the interests of their governments. It's a long-standing principle that doctors treat everyone who calls on them without prejudice to how nice or evil they may be. And it's not treason to go and treat the leader of an unaligned nation, especially one we're not even at war with.
What if he dies before his wife produces an heir?
Reply 3
No worse than people flying out to aid ISIS, yet for all their rhetoric, the government are doing nothing about it.
Original post by thunder_chunky
What if he dies before his wife produces an heir?

Even if his wife bore a son today, he would be powerless until he was at least 16, so Jong-un has to survive that long. The idea of his singer wife being regent is laughable.

Jong-nam has an heir, but has been critical of the regime in foreign media.

Jong-chul would have a very strong claim. He is the full brother of Jong-un, would want the job, and has proven his capability by purging his uncle Jang Sung-thaek, the former de facto leader who was reportedly ripped apart by dogs.

Jong-chul is certainly the last hope for the continuation of the Kim regime. But his father's comments about his personal unsuitability (he said he was effeminate) would still mean the North Korean elite was in for a period of serious instability.

The generals know this, and Jong-un knows the generals know this. He has got through four different men as heads of the army in the ~30 months since his father's death.
Original post by scrotgrot
Even if his wife bore a son today, he would be powerless until he was at least 16, so Jong-un has to survive that long. The idea of his singer wife being regent is laughable.

Jong-nam has an heir, but has been critical of the regime in foreign media.

Jong-chul would have a very strong claim. He is the full brother of Jong-un, would want the job, and has proven his capability by purging his uncle Jang Sung-thaek, the former de facto leader who was reportedly ripped apart by dogs.

Jong-chul is certainly the last hope for the continuation of the Kim regime. But his father's comments about his personal unsuitability (he said he was effeminate) would still mean the North Korean elite was in for a period of serious instability.

The generals know this, and Jong-un knows the generals know this. He has got through four different men as heads of the army in the ~30 months since his father's death.

"Ripped apart by dogs". What a vile, murderous state!

I really fear for the people of S. Korea and the surrounding countries for what might happen from such a deranged regime, it's easy to picture them embarking on mad foreign wars if things get too difficult at home, or just on a whim.
Reply 6
Is this an opportunity for a country to assassinate him? :holmes:

I suppose he'd only be replaced though.
Reply 7
Original post by Fullofsurprises
"Ripped apart by dogs"

As vile and horrific as the Juche regime is, the 'ripped apart by dogs' thing turned out to be a joke from a Chinese newspaper.
Reply 8
Original post by miser
Is this an opportunity for a country to assassinate him? :holmes:

I suppose he'd only be replaced though.

I think thats the real concern which drives policy towards NK. We'd rather allow the regime to exist to guarantee a sort of stability than allow it to fall and have chaos rain
Reply 9
Original post by Aj12
I think thats the real concern which drives policy towards NK. We'd rather allow the regime to exist to guarantee a sort of stability than allow it to fall and have chaos rain

As much as people might feel the want to rescue the people trapped in that regime, individual nations' policy will always be their own self-interest, and like you say, NK's stability is going to be of a higher priority than freeing its people. A real shame.
Original post by miser
As much as people might feel the want to rescue the people trapped in that regime, individual nations' policy will always be their own self-interest, and like you say, NK's stability is going to be of a higher priority than freeing its people. A real shame.

The stability argument can only go so far before it becomes hypocrisy. This is the case with China, which cloaks special interests, fellow feeling and a reluctance to have its own dictatorship exposed under the guise of 'defending stability in the region' with regards to the PRNK.

However, given the ownership of nukes by Pyongyang, it is disturbing to think what can happen. I do wonder if won't just collapse from inside, despite appearances, even the most rigid one-party state has been proven to be capable of amazingly rapid destruction from within.
Obama would beat him up, but Denis Rodman will beat him up if he tries, but then arnold swazernegger will beat him up, but then chuck Norris will destroy us all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Comus
As vile and horrific as the Juche regime is, the 'ripped apart by dogs' thing turned out to be a joke from a Chinese newspaper.

Although the NK media did apparently call for “tearing the traitor Jang’s body to pieces and throwing them into a boiler.” So the nice hungry doggy story might not be so ridiculously far from the truth. :rolleyes:
http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/01/03/inside-the-tale-of-north-korea-execution-by-ravenous-dog/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0
I feel a clerihew coming on:

Kim Jong-un
Was a bugger for a pun.
But how it did rankle
When his fatness broke his ankle.
Original post by Good bloke
I feel a clerihew coming on:

Kim Jong-un
Was a bugger for a pun.
But how it did rankle
When his fatness broke his ankle.

I love you bro

Posted from TSR Mobile
'Real men have curves'
Original post by Yeah dude

My heart is all a-flutter. :biggrin:
Original post by InsertWittyName
'Real men doctors have cur v es'

Corrected. :smile:
Original post by Good bloke
My heart is all a-flutter. :biggrin:

I put my hands up, he's a good bloke, and he got butterflies, why am I singing this, oh yeah it's cause he's a princess, I got my hands up, screaming like a clown, what's the next lyric? AYAYAYAYAAYAYAYA ITS A PARTY IN THE USA (with good bloke)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by scrotgrot
Private (and even public) European doctors have no obligation to act in the interests of their governments. It's a long-standing principle that doctors treat everyone who calls on them without prejudice to how nice or evil they may be. And it's not treason to go and treat the leader of an unaligned nation, especially one we're not even at war with.

I wasn't calling it treason, I was just wondering about it. I would hate to be one of those doctors. I realise that in the ideal view, doctors should treat everyone, but in the real world, presumably money has changed hands and these doctors have been flown in for substantial fees by NK. I'm assuming this - maybe I'm wrong - but if I'm right, it appears to be offering help for money to the worst regime on the planet. I don't think that's right.

Quick Reply

Latest