The Student Room Group

How do you get into Oxford 2015?

"More than 17,000 people applied for undergraduate study and over 20,000 people applied for graduate study at the University of Oxford for 2013 entry. Oxford has around 3,200 undergraduate places and approximately 4,500 graduate places per year."

Big numbers, very few places.... with the Oxbridge deadline just around the corner (15th October) what advice would you offer undergraduate and postgraduate prospective students?
The best advice I can give is not to completely set your heart on the idea of going to Oxford. Oxford is amazing, for sure, and everything... but there is no magic formula and those who look amazing on paper can fall down at interview, etc. Or you might be one someone who is very unlucky that particular year. Or you might get an offer but not make the grades.

It's important to remember that in the UK we are fortunate enough to have loads of top professors at various institutions. Many of them will congregrate around Oxbridge but a lot of them are spread across the UK. Consequently there are stellar departments all over the place :biggrin:

Less serious (or am I really less serious? :ninja: ) advice: APPLY TO WOOSTA! :awesome:
Reply 2
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
The best advice I can give is not to completely set your heart on the idea of going to Oxford. Oxford is amazing, for sure, and everything... but there is no magic formula and those who look amazing on paper can fall down at interview, etc. Or you might be one someone who is very unlucky that particular year. Or you might get an offer but not make the grades.

It's important to remember that in the UK we are fortunate enough to have loads of top professors at various institutions. Many of them will congregrate around Oxbridge but a lot of them are spread across the UK. Consequently there are stellar departments all over the place :biggrin:

Less serious (or am I really less serious? :ninja: ) advice: APPLY TO WOOSTA! :awesome:

Agree with that but I'd also say, don't let the fear of being unsuccessful put you off applying. Every year, 3,200 new undergraduates are admitted. Who's to say they're all better than you?
Original post by astro67
Agree with that but I'd also say, don't let the fear of being unsuccessful put you off applying. Every year, 3,200 new undergraduates are admitted. Who's to say they're all better than you?

This is also very good advice :yep:
Also:

- Never cite books that you haven't got time to read in your personal statement. BAD MOVE!
- Try to re-read anything you've cited in your personal statement
- Take a copy of your personal statement and your written work with you to the interviews, just to quickly refresh your memory
If there is a test involved revising this should be your number one priority.
Students tend to forget that in many subjects if you do poorly in the test you chances of getting an interview are dramatically reduced, and with subjects like E+M they wont even consider you at all no matter how many A* etc you have.

Also as The_Lonely_Goatherd says dont forget about the 100s of other great Universities out there. University is only 4 years of your 60+ year life - its really not the end of the world if you don't get a place. Your decisions during and after University will define you more than what University you went to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending