The Student Room Group

Anybody had a IAPT telephone assesment before- what to expect?

Hello, basically I'm about to have a telephone assesment with a therapist from IAPT (improving access to psychological therapies) fairly soon regarding my mental health.

I've been suffering for years with moderate, and at time severe depression and emotional problems. More recently I was put back on anti depressants after a relationship breakdown and some suicidal ideation. I was adamant with my GP that I needed some form of immediate help. He suggested a referal for CBT therapy and so has refered me to the mental health services at IAPT.

I'm not entirely sure of what to expect from an assesment over the telephone and thus I feel sort of fobbed off. There are so many things running through my head that I couldn't possibly get to the core issues, especially talking over the phone as I suffer from anxiety also.

Anyone got any insights?
Original post by royal1990
Hello, basically I'm about to have a telephone assesment with a therapist from IAPT (improving access to psychological therapies) fairly soon regarding my mental health.

I've been suffering for years with moderate, and at time severe depression and emotional problems. More recently I was put back on anti depressants after a relationship breakdown and some suicidal ideation. I was adamant with my GP that I needed some form of immediate help. He suggested a referal for CBT therapy and so has refered me to the mental health services at IAPT.

I'm not entirely sure of what to expect from an assesment over the telephone and thus I feel sort of fobbed off. There are so many things running through my head that I couldn't possibly get to the core issues, especially talking over the phone as I suffer from anxiety also.

Anyone got any insights?

I'm tired of being anon.

I've had something similar. It's just some one with an annoyingly softly spoken voice reading through one of those 'Am I depressed?' questioners you'd find on the NHS' website. It's just an introduction so don't get too worked up because it's really just a 'registration' of your mental state.

Personally I think it's a terrible way to run a mental health system but at the same time I don't have a solution.
(edited 9 years ago)
Does anyone know what happens after IAPT?

My allocated sessions are about to end but my therapist thinks I have a personality disorder and require further support.

Where will they send me next? I'm worried.
Original post by Anonymous

My allocated sessions are about to end but my therapist thinks I have a personality disorder and require further support.

Usually your GP or IAPT will refer you to a community mental health team. They have a variety of different staff including psychiatrists, psychologists, psychiatric nurses and social workers. They will be able to provide further support and treatment, especially for a personality disorder.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous

what personality disorder do they suspect? And how many sessions did you have on the IAPT?

I'm waiting for sessions with IAPT and not kidding I thought the idea with IAPT is that it's improved access where I'm standing been waiting for yonks 😒

Quick Reply

Latest