The Student Room Group

Following character not permitted??

I copied and pasted my personal statement from word to UCAS and it keeps saying the following character is not permitted. How do I get rid of this problem?
Also my personal statement is 41 lines, is this too short??
As for the length, it's better to say only good stuff and have 3500 characters than adding 500 extra characters of rubbish.

Have you used any unusual characters in the personal statement? Basically anything except common punctuation and letters (e.g. foreign letters, even some less common punctuation like an underscore could be causing it.
Reply 2
Original post by PythianLegume
As for the length, it's better to say only good stuff and have 3500 characters than adding 500 extra characters of rubbish.

Have you used any unusual characters in the personal statement? Basically anything except common punctuation and letters (e.g. foreign letters, even some less common punctuation like an underscore could be causing it.

Are you saying I should leave it the way it is? And no special characters that I know off..
Original post by acharaaa
Are you saying I should leave it the way it is? And no special characters that I know off..

Have you put blank lines in between paragraphs? That's worth doing if you've got spare lines/characters.
Reply 4
Have you put blank lines in between paragraphs? That's worth doing if you've got spare lines/characters.

yeahhh but my teacher was saying I should have at least 44 or something..
yeahhh but my teacher was saying I should have at least 44 or something..

Like I said - you want the most out of your personal statement, but you also want to make sure it's good. Add stuff if you have more to say, but don't worry about 500 characters.
Reply 6
Like I said - you want the most out of your personal statement, but you also want to make sure it's good. Add stuff if you have more to say, but don't worry about 500 characters.

Im happy with it, I don't wanna add anymore but I feel like I should /:
I copied and pasted my personal statement from word to UCAS and it keeps saying the following character is not permitted. How do I get rid of this problem?
Also my personal statement is 41 lines, is this too short??

41 lines is quite short. Most students use the full line limit. Do you have blank lines between paragraphs?

There are a lot of characters not allowed by UCAS, including and other currency symbols that aren't £ or $. If you've used any unusual punctuation, e.g. [, \, #, etc then try taking that out.
Definitely add blank lines if you haven't already. This will probably take it to the line limit, or very close. I don't think characters like '/' and '&' and maybe even '%' are allowed. Basically, just use full stops, commas, quotation marks (") semicolons and brackets (altho the last two use with caution) and you should be fine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending