The Student Room Group

Rejected student bank account by Santander

I currently have a student bank account with Halifax. I am -£999 into my overdraft limit meaning I owe Halifax £999. My maximum overdraft limit is £1000. This isn't enough, so I applied for a Santander student bank account. I was rejected by them because of Information held about you by a credit reference agency.

What does this even mean? The only debt I have is the £999 I owe to Halifax. I have a student bank account. I don't have credit card, only a debit card. I did however exceed my overfradt limit numerous times this year, so Halifax won't extend my overdraft, so I want to close my account and open one with Santander

So, I wonder if Satander rejected my application because I owe money to Halifax? Or did they reject my application because I exceeded my overdraft limit a few times this year?

I get £2000 student loans and grant paid into my Halifax account next week. This will pay back my overdraft meaning I owe nothing to Halifax. I have a job and earn £160 a week too

Then can I close my Halifax account and open a Santander account and put the £1000 into it which entitles me to their £1500 overdraft limit.

Did Santander reject my application because I still have an overdraft I need to pay back to Halifax?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Hydroxy
I remember a friend of mine who banked with Santander had his overdraft withdrawn at the end of the academic year because he once went over his limit.

Also, most banks don't normally allow you to take an second student overdraft if you've already got one elsewhere.

Can't do nothing about it then... But if I close my Halifax account, pay back the money I owe, will I be able to open a Santander account?

Looks like I am stuck with Halifax. They said they can extend my overdraft in 6 months if I don't exceed it again.
Reply 2
Original post by Prince Kael'thas
This is why poor people shouldn't be allowed overdraft. And they cry they're in debt. Boo you

Miss posh? More like Miss broke

I'm actually quite well off compared with most students.
Reply 3
Original post by Hydroxy
I doubt it, my guess (I don't know how credit reports work) is that Halifax probably put that you went over your agreed overdraft limit on your credit report each time you did it.

You could always pay to have a look at your credit report through experian.

It costs £2. I wasn't aware of this at the time. OMG. If I had known about a credit report I would not have exceeded my overdraft. I was just spending money on silly stuff last year... What was I thinking!

Now I have even less money than I had last year due to my household income. I have a job paying around £160 a week.

If I don't extend my overdraft again, will my credit report go back to normal over time?
Reply 4
Original post by Hydroxy
I'm certainly no financial expert but from what I understand credit stuff is pretty rough (since the whole financial crisis thing) and it stays on your report for quite some time.

I remember reading stories of ex-students who were denied mortgages years later because they missed Wonga repayments by like 1 or 2 days in Uni and went over overdrafts.

If you spend a good few years paying all your bills/phone contracts etc etc on time and being careful i'm sure you wont have anything to worry about by the time you've graduated and are in a position to do anything you need major credit for.

That's so rough... What a load of rubbish... :frown:
Original post by Miss Posh

WUT?
You said you have maxed out your overdraft and regularly exceed it, I don't see how that can be 'well off' by any possible interpretation of the words.
Reply 6
Original post by stroppyninja
WUT?
You said you have maxed out your overdraft and regularly exceed it, I don't see how that can be 'well off' by any possible interpretation of the words.

I didn't have a job last year. Now I have a part time job. Pays good money and I have a boyfriend who is quite wealthy. I can also turn to my parents for money.

I didn't speak to my parents last year due to a family fallout.

I had money last year but I spent it so quickly and didn't manage as I should have.
It costs £2. I wasn't aware of this at the time. OMG. If I had known about a credit report I would not have exceeded my overdraft. I was just spending money on silly stuff last year... What was I thinking!

Now I have even less money than I had last year due to my household income. I have a job paying around £160 a week.

If I don't extend my overdraft again, will my credit report go back to normal over time?

You don't have to pay, you can get a free report for life from noddle.co.uk (although they are not always the most up-to-date, or a 'free trial' from Experian for 30 days, and you just have to ring to cancel it.

If you don't exceed overdraft, or better yet, actually get out of your overdraft, your credit report will get much better.

You have two types of overdraft - arranged and unarranged.
When Halifax say "you can have £500 overdraft", if you stay within that, it's an 'agreed' one. If you go over that, that is unarranged. This looks worse on your credit score, and comes with a lot of fines too.
Reply 8

That's why you're using your loan to pay off Halifax. And if you are well off why have you bothered to get a student loan. LOL

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Sahmed206
That's why you're using your loan to pay off Halifax. And if you are well off why have you bothered to get a student loan. LOL

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course I am not as wealthy as students who don't need loans.

I just mean that I am now in a position to do more stuff than last year. I now speak to my parents and they have offered to give me money when I need it. I have a wealthy boyfriend. I have a job

As far as I'm aware it's like a balance thing. Right now you've done more to prove you are bad at paying out than good at it, so your credit rating will reflect it. Start getting payments in on time and eventually it will probably even out
the banks will not allow you to run multiple student current accounts.

that is why you have been rejected

thisi s why many of the banks reserve the right to close or convert to a Basic Bank Account / Standard Current account any student account you open and don;t pay student funding into ...
Reply 12
Original post by zippyRN
the banks will not allow you to run multiple student current accounts.

that is why you have been rejected

thisi s why many of the banks reserve the right to close or convert to a Basic Bank Account / Standard Current account any student account you open and don;t pay student funding into ...

^^ This is 100% correct.

You can't have multiple student accounts, precisely to stop you running up multiple overdraft debts. A second application to a different bank will be flagged and rejected.

If your current bank finds out that you are making applications elsewhere, you risk having your current student account closed/converted and getting a demand for immediate repayment of any debt. Multiple applications can be viewed as attempted fraud.
Reply 13
Original post by Klix88
^^ This is 100% correct.

You can't have multiple student accounts, precisely to stop you running up multiple overdraft debts. A second application to a different bank will be flagged and rejected.

If your current bank finds out that you are making applications elsewhere, you risk having your current student account closed/converted and getting a demand for immediate repayment of any debt. Multiple applications can be viewed as attempted fraud.

OMG. Is this why you have to read the small print? :eek:
OMG. Is this why you have to read the small print? :eek:

Indeed. Good luck with that.
Reply 15
I currently have a student bank account with Halifax. I am -£999 into my overdraft limit meaning I owe Halifax £999. My maximum overdraft limit is £1000. This isn't enough, so I applied for a Santander student bank account. I was rejected by them because of Information held about you by a credit reference agency.

What does this even mean? The only debt I have is the £999 I owe to Halifax. I have a student bank account. I don't have credit card, only a debit card. I did however exceed my overfradt limit numerous times this year, so Halifax won't extend my overdraft, so I want to close my account and open one with Santander

So, I wonder if Satander rejected my application because I owe money to Halifax? Or did they reject my application because I exceeded my overdraft limit a few times this year?

I get £2000 student loans and grant paid into my Halifax account next week. This will pay back my overdraft meaning I owe nothing to Halifax. I have a job and earn £160 a week too

Then can I close my Halifax account and open a Santander account and put the £1000 into it which entitles me to their £1500 overdraft limit.

Did Santander reject my application because I still have an overdraft I need to pay back to Halifax?

get your bf to pay

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest