The Student Room Group

Is the employment situation really getting better for 21-25 year olds? (graduates)

Thought I would set up a thread to discuss what is currently going on in the labor market (both UK and global).

Are things really getting better for graduates? Or do you think there is a long way to go until prospects really start looking up for the majority?

Just my take:

It seems that, on the one hand, while the number of graduate positions has and is still rapidly increasing, on the other, the number of applicants per position is still painstakingly high. This is still leading to long-drawn out application processes, the need for several assessment centers, online examinations, sequential interview rounds and rigorous entry-level job requirements. These together, are making it a fierce battleground for graduates getting their foot in the door (for those with and without experience). Moreover, many graduates are faced with the catch-22 situation (needing experience, but needing that first job to get that initial experience).

While prospects are great for those graduates who knew what they wanted to persue since they were young (either due to family connections, family knowledge on particular jobs who were then able to direct their kids down the necessary path, great advice from schools or early planning), many graduates who were not blessed with such head starts (and as such, did not consider the necessary degree and/or work experience beforehand) are now left, somewhat, desperately trapped.

Indeed, we can criticize these graduates for the poor choices they made, but, it is these 'majority' graduates that are going to be tasked with supporting the economies left by our parents, and to carry on the 'so-called economic plans' in place now. Therefore, I believe that the time to criticize these graduates has now ended, and we need to look towards how we can train this 'excess supply' up so that they can be employable for livable wage, concrete jobs.

As a result, can we really assume that prospects for graduates are really improving? or are we still a very long way off?

Just thought I would start a thread to get some discussion going.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Subjective imho. I know someone with a first in environmental science, and only wants a job in her field, she's totally dedicated - and I applaud her for this - but therefore is finding it extremely difficult to find a position.

I know someone else with a 2.1 in history who has just got a job at my current place of work, £26k starting salary with 6 monthly incremental salary increases. The job? Engineer. Nothing to do with history whatsoever. He isn't bothered; wanted a job, applied, got one.

All depends where you look, what you want, and if you're willing to grunt your way through all the jobs you don't get to find the one you want, or, if you'll settle for the first one you can lay your paws on.

That being said, I do appreciate it can be very difficult, regardless.
Original post by Hydroxy
A job as an Engineer with a history degree ? Are you serious ?

Please tell me you mean an Engineer in terms of fixing boilers with spanners and hammers.

No sadly I mean structural/aeronautical.
well ****, I did the wrong degree
Reply 4
Original post by TwoLimes
No sadly I mean structural/aeronautical.

Where do I apply?
Motivation and the lengths you are determined to go to are a key factor as well, I know someone with a 2:1 in maths who has been working at mcdonalds for a year. He doesn't have much motivation and isn't sure what he wants to do. Whilst another person with the same degree (and classification) from a university of the same caliber got straight into a job as a software developer the day after they graduated because they knew they wanted to do that and did home projects/self-taught programming etc.

You need to know what you want to do (or at least have an ideal industry in mind), and work towards it via extra curricular activities. Employers aren't going to hire you unless you show enthusiasm for the job.
Lol nope.

I've yet to see any evidence of this. Everyone I know who graduated this summer is struggling regardless of what course they did, including myself. My CV is outstanding - full of volunteering, several years work history including experience at managerial level, a host of awards/EC's and good academics. A lot of graduates would kill for a CV as good as mine, yet i've been rejected after every interview i've had because I don't have ''relevant experience''. :rolleyes:

At least i'm in a relatively good position compared to some of my friends who can't even find a minimum wage job.
Original post by Hydroxy
How on Earth is he qualified to do anything of the sort when he has no knowledge of structural mechanics, aeronautical mechanics...

I'd love to know that too; I've been in that place 3 years and have a wealth of knowledge compared to him, and yet he's on 5k more. But that's another moan for another day...
Original post by Hydroxy
I reckon it's bull****. Probably a technician of some sort and I doubt it's 26k.

Ok, well you believe that then. What would I gain about lying about it on this thread? Jesus...
Ok, well you believe that then. What would I gain about lying about it on this thread? Jesus...

You should understand why he doesn't believe you though... People just don't get hired for professional roles if they have no experience/qualifications relating to it. If you're right with what you say, then there must be something else going on, either he has lied to you about the salary, or he has strong family connections, or maybe he is qualified in some other way you don't know about.
Yeah I totally get why he might not think that, however, it's true, it happens, I work there, I meet these guys on a daily basis, and I have the graduate entry website up in front of me which says starting salary between £25,000 & £28,000, plus a £2000 welcome bonus - requirements are a minimum 2:1 bachelors degree in any subject.

Its sad and annoying and stupid that it happens, but it's true.
I would argue that it certainly hasn't got easier, and that the outlook is rather bleak. There's a trend towards a reduction of jobs stemming from technological progress that continues to replace jobs that previously required human input. This is coming to fruition in the form of what has by all measures been an abysmal 'recovery' and the inability of jobs to keep up with population growth. When it does keep up the jobs are typically of a much lower quality, being lower paid and/or part-time. This problem isn't inevitable and could be reversed, but that would involve tackling income inequality while the government has done almost everything it can to accelerate it.

This isn't technological evangelism either.

I know someone else with a 2.1 in history who has just got a job at my current place of work, £26k starting salary with 6 monthly incremental salary increases. The job? Engineer. Nothing to do with history whatsoever. He isn't bothered; wanted a job, applied, got one.

I find that very curious... Would you mind letting me know what capacity they're working in? Surely no company is going to hire a history grad for a solid STEM position?

Original post by TheFreeRanger
While prospects are great for those graduates who knew what they wanted to persue since they were young (either due to family connections, family knowledge on particular jobs who were then able to direct their kids down the necessary path, great advice from schools or early planning), many graduates who were not blessed with such head starts (and as such, did not consider the necessary degree and/or work experience beforehand) are now left, somewhat, desperately trapped.

I think this is an excellent point. For the sake of disclosure, I'd put myself in this category - received the best grades in my year at a state school that performed below-average from a dysfunctional family. Advice was non-existent, we were discouraged from taking hard A-levels because there was less chance we'd do well, which would reflect on the school's standing (I managed to avoid this trap only through TSR). In this scenario it's pretty much impossible to say "I need to complete an internship at X, Y and Z during my first, penultimate and final year." No surprise that my most privileged friend was the one able to secure the most experience, his neighbour was an accountant and hired him at his firm as a favour to his father.

What I would say and even advise people thinking of going to university is that unless you're going to a top-5 university, your grades and university really don't matter. If 40 is the new 30, anything other than the most elite institutions are the new London South Bank. Competition is just too fierce for anything other than experience to matter.
Reply 12
Original post by sr90
Lol nope.

I've yet to see any evidence of this. Everyone I know who graduated this summer is struggling regardless of what course they did, including myself. My CV is outstanding - full of volunteering, several years work history including experience at managerial level, a host of awards/EC's and good academics. A lot of graduates would kill for a CV as good as mine, yet i've been rejected after every interview i've had because I don't have ''relevant experience''. :rolleyes:

At least i'm in a relatively good position compared to some of my friends who can't even find a minimum wage job.

How much worse do you find it now than in 2009/2010?
Original post by Quady
How much worse do you find it now than in 2009/2010?

I have no idea, i've just graduated.
Reply 14
Original post by sr90
I have no idea, i've just graduated.

Oh, right.

I thought you said you've seen no evidence that the employment situation is improving. Which time-frame were you referring to?

I was guessing you meant compared to the recession, but it seems not.
Honestly, I think today, its becoming more of a privilege to work rather than a right. What do you all think?
I graduated in July and I'm finding it impossibly difficult to find work, graduate role or otherwise. I have sent off about twenty applications per day, since I finished my course, have got so far as interview on a few occasions and keep meeting the stumbling block of 'no relevant experience'. If applying for roles not directly related to my degree, I usually get turned down on the basis employers think I should: 'do something with my degree'. I just want a job, damn it. :sigh:
Original post by Freudian Slip
I graduated in July and I'm finding it impossibly difficult to find work, graduate role or otherwise. I have sent off about twenty applications per day, since I finished my course, have got so far as interview on a few occasions and keep meeting the stumbling block of 'no relevant experience'. If applying for roles not directly related to my degree, I usually get turned down on the basis employers think I should: 'do something with my degree'. I just want a job, damn it. :sigh:

Hopefully once the new year begins, job prospects will start to look up. Job recruitment always slows down towards November/December.
Original post by TheFreeRanger
Hopefully once the new year begins, job prospects will start to look up. Job recruitment always slows down towards November/December.

This is my hope!

Getting to the point now where I'm running out of things to apply for! I think I've applied for every single seasonal position going. I keep getting through the first stages and then losing out at the last minute to people with more experience. Fingers crossed things turn around. :grin:
Original post by Freudian Slip

wish yeh the best:smile:

tell us what degree are you studying:?

furthermore as a 2nd year im wondering should i spend next summer gettign experience in a pharmaceutical programme or go have fun while i still can abroad?

Quick Reply

Latest