The Student Room Group

Skills in my Alevels Listing HELP ???????

Hey so obviously I'm not going to post the paragraph from my personal statement in here so ill have to do my best to describe how it goes...

Basically I've talked about the subjects am studying triple science and maths and have said what skills i have taken from them, i've put sentences in them such as one line: maths has taught me blablabla and, physics has taught me blablabla.
Can anyone possibly help with me with this :smile:? My sister said it sounds a bit like i've listed it and she isn't so good at writting so I look to you guys for help :smile:!
Original post by IAmYourdog
Hey so obviously I'm not going to post the paragraph from my personal statement in here so ill have to do my best to describe how it goes...

Basically I've talked about the subjects am studying triple science and maths and have said what skills i have taken from them, i've put sentences in them such as one line: maths has taught me blablabla and, physics has taught me blablabla.
Can anyone possibly help with me with this :smile:? My sister said it sounds a bit like i've listed it and she isn't so good at writting so I look to you guys for help :smile:!

What subject are you applying for?

Scrap the whole thing. Your A levels, most of the subjects of which you are dropping anyway, are of no interest to admissions tutors. They know that everybody who studies A levels learns the same things from them and just reiterating what these are doesn't make you in any way unique. Focus on the subject you want to study at university and why you want to.
Reply 3
well im applying for chem engineering
I haven't written that much about my subjects.. Also you haven't read the paragraph and i don't think they will find it of no interest as they are all in my degree. Also I didn't say anything about biology, chemistry physics and maths are all incorporated into my degree and those are the ones I said I gained skills in.

I only ask for advice on how to structure that part
maths has taught me blablabla and, physics has taught me blablabla.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Scrap the whole thing. Your A levels, most of the subjects of which you are dropping anyway, are of no interest to admissions tutors. They know that everybody who studies A levels learns the same things from them and just reiterating what these are doesn't make you in any way unique. Focus on the subject you want to study at university and why you want to.

:s-smilie: the vast majority of my PS was about the subjects I'd taken, what skills I'd learned from them and how I would use that in my degree course and I got all my offers including UCL...
Original post by infairverona
:s-smilie: the vast majority of my PS was about the subjects I'd taken, what skills I'd learned from them and how I would use that in my degree course and I got all my offers including UCL...

Sometimes offers are made despite a ps. Sometimes the ps isn't even read. Sometimes strange things happen. However, if you want to put in the best application possible, then the advice I have given is standard from pretty much all universities and ps advisors. It's up to the applicant to take it or leave it.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Sometimes offers are made despite a ps. Sometimes the ps isn't even read. Sometimes strange things happen. However, if you want to put in the best application possible, then the advice I have given is standard from pretty much all universities and ps advisors. It's up to the applicant to take it or leave it.

Strange if that's the advice they give when UCL, Warwick, Southampton, York and Sheffield all accepted my PS for law. I doubt all 5 of those ignored my PS seeing as my GCSE grades weren't really up to scratch for those unis/that course either. It's probably less black and white than just 'unis don't care about your subjects'.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by infairverona
Strange if that's the advice they give when UCL, Warwick, Southampton, York and Sheffield all accepted my PS for law. I doubt all 5 of those ignored my PS seeing as my GCSE grades weren't really up to scratch for those unis/that course either. It's probably less black and white than just 'unis don't care about your subjects'.

Perhaps they liked the way you argued your case, who knows? You've had my opinion. I can offer nothing further.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending