The Student Room Group

in language books why do they add "to" to the word like To Run

Can anyone give a good reason such as:

Spanish Corre = to run

Why not write: Corre = Run
Reply 1
I do not know Spanish, but that is probably the infinitive which is translated as to -and whatever the verb is-. Corro, I assume, is 'run'.
Because it is the infinitive.

Correr means "To Run", not "Run".

Corre actually does not mean "to run", though so I don't know where you got that.
Original post by e aí rapaz
Because it is the infinitive.

Correr means "To Run", not "Run".

Corre actually does not mean "to run", though so I don't know where you got that.

ah sorry i spelt it wrong

Like on google translate it also just puts the word correr and then in english run without the to word.

But why couldnt they just do that in books afterall we are meant to read the word To Run but we are also meant to ignore the word To when we're talking. like i wouldn't say "i to run a lot" for example.
Like a parrot on my friends hand in peru was saying Correr Correr Correr telling her to run. but he's saying run run run.
Original post by *Stefan*
I do not know Spanish, but that is probably the infinitive which is translated as to -and whatever the verb is-. Corro, I assume, is 'run'.

I'm just not sure why they need it for single words. Run = Correr and people would get that right when they say it to someone. Adding the "To" just confuses it and i just want to understand it :smile:
Original post by Flyingaround

Like on google translate it also just puts the word correr and then in english run without the to word.

But why couldnt they just do that in books afterall we are meant to read the word To Run but we are also meant to ignore the word To when we're talking. like i wouldn't say "i to run a lot" for example.
Like a parrot on my friends hand in peru was saying Correr Correr Correr telling her to run. but he's saying run run run.

No, correr literally means to run.

1. Ignore Google Translate because it is flawed.
2. The parrot was probably saying "corre" which does mean "run".

Correr is the infinitive and the form of the verb changes depending on the conjugation (first person, third person singular, third person plural, imperative, etc).

If you google it you can read how it works but it's different to English in structure, so if you read "correr" you should read "to run" in English (in most cases).

Disclaimer: I speak Portuguese not Spanish which is the same principle, but if I made a small mistake in this post then that is why.
I'm just not sure why they need it for single words. Run = Correr and people would get that right when they say it to someone. Adding the "To" just confuses it and i just want to understand it :smile:

http://www.123teachme.com/spanish_verb_conjugation/correr

When you tell somebody to run in English ("run!"), you are using the affirmative imperative. Which in Spanish is "corre!". You would not use the word correr on its own in this situation.
Original post by e aí rapaz
http://www.123teachme.com/spanish_verb_conjugation/correr

When you tell somebody to run in English ("run!"), you are using the affirmative imperative. Which in Spanish is "corre!". You would not use the word correr on its own in this situation.

thank you :smile: i'll have a look at that link :smile:
Original post by AlphaNick
spanish is a weird language

i've actually started to learn japanese now but someone just translated Eraser and a word as to disappear and it got me started again on that thought that i've had for so long :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by AlphaNick
spanish is a weird language

Everything seems weird to you, so that doesn't really say anything :/

Correr actually means to run.
For example, the sentence "Quiero correr" means "I want to run".
Quiero = I want
Correr = To run

True you wouldn't say "I to run a lot", you would say "I run a lot". But in that case you wouldn't use the word "correr". You'd say "Corro mucho"
Corro = I run
Mucho = a lot

Quick Reply

Latest