The Student Room Group

Girls, would you date a guy who has anxiety?

As title really. I suffer from anxiety and I can't see it getting any better just yet. It may be holding me back in the relationship department. I don't know, I haven't had one yet, just wondering if girls would consider a relationship with an emotional guy. A guy who's in tough with his emotional side, and isn't afraid to say how he feels and suffers from anxiety.

Scroll to see replies

yes.
Yes. I don't see why it's such a bad thing.
Reply 3
Probs depends how bad it is. If it will lead you to unemployment they might not approve and won't see a future with you.
Reply 4
Yes. I've just recently got over panic disorder and agoraphobia myself so I know how much of a struggle anxiety disorders can be and that having a supportive partner can really help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't see why not. If someone really loves you and you love them that your anxiety should not get between you. You may also feel better around a certain special someone :colondollar:
Reply 6
i wouldn't

and i'm not even a girl
Original post by Anonymous
As title really. I suffer from anxiety and I can't see it getting any better just yet. It may be holding me back in the relationship department. I don't know, I haven't had one yet, just wondering if girls would consider a relationship with an emotional guy. A guy who's in tough with his emotional side, and isn't afraid to say how he feels and suffers from anxiety.

Sure , why not ? Everybody has issues :smile:
I would, providing his triggers weren't the exact same as mine, because it'd be really not good if we both fell to pieces at the same time. But seeing as how I get anxiety about the stupidest things, it'll probably work out.
My ex boyfriend suffered from anxiety so yes, I would:smile:
Probably not. Purely because I have mental health problems of my own and I think I need someone 'stronger' han me to put up with my ****. When I'm better, yes.
As long as you aren't Armin.

/bitch slap
I'm no girl but if she's worth it she'd say yes and help you though it dude, maybe she'd be what you need to mellow out and it'd be all good bro :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldn't do it again. My last boyfriend had anxiety and I knew he had it, but it basically killed our relationship by the end. He hated a friend of mine he'd never met because he got it in his head that my friend fancied me, he constantly wanted reassurance that I hadn't gone off him or found someone else, he was lovely and really kind because I think people with anxiety are more sensitive to other people's feelings but ultimately it got too much. I think it would depend how bad your anxiety is and what triggers it, for example I myself have social anxiety but it doesn't seem to affect my relationships at all. Whereas my ex's kind of anxiety seemed wholly triggered by our relationship no matter how hard I tried.
I think if you're seeing a girl and she completely disregards you as a potential partner if you mention you have anxiety, then she's not worth your time. But then again it depends how bad the anxiety is - if it's something that is obviously identifiable from the guy's behaviour and can affect the relationship adversely on a very regular basis, then I could maybe understand why the girl would decline them.
My boyfriend of a year and a half has bad anxiety and it doesn't hold us back at all. Sure we do some things slightly differently to the norm sometimes (those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter!) but it doesn't really affect us much at all. I love him- it's as simple as that! I couldn't give a monkeys uncle what health issues either of us have! :smile:
Reply 16
I would, but I have fairly bad anxiety myself so if we were both only going to make each other worse/more anxious, then it probably wouldn't be a good idea.
Original post by emcat
I would, but I have fairly bad anxiety myself so if we were both only going to make each other worse/more anxious, then it probably wouldn't be a good idea.

Or you'd join forces, become the most powerful people in the universe and rule the world...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Yeah dude
Or you'd join forces, become the most powerful people in the universe and rule the world...

Posted from TSR Mobile

More like rule his mother's basement :tongue:
Original post by nohomo
More like rule his mother's basement :tongue:

There's that, I guess it could go either way, it's kinda like playing spin the bottle with a rhino, you don't know whether you will punch him first or he will run into you first... If that makes sense...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending