The Student Room Group

Absolutely hating University so far and in need of advice.

I've just finished my first week and my god, I have never felt so lonely in my life. I live at home which I feel magnifies that feeling of isolation and missing out. I also absolutely despise my University; dead or inactive societies and a lack of student community mean that the disconnect between students is huge. The general atmosphere is cold and I just hate it. It's worth noting that I do like my course, I'm comfortable with it and the University is renowned for students finding incredibly successful employment as a result of this course from the Uni.

So, onto my question; I cannot see for the life of me how I can settle in here, I can't make someone like the things I like and I don't want to feign interest in subjects. I'm sorry if that sounds pretentious or arrogant but I'm gonna be blunt. I was thinking of dropping out, taking a gap year to find some part time employment and then volunteer overseas for a few months. What are your thoughts on that and is it a tad rash or not?
Original post by somemightsay888
I've just finished my first week and my god, I have never felt so lonely in my life. I live at home which I feel magnifies that feeling of isolation and missing out. I also absolutely despise my University; dead or inactive societies and a lack of student community mean that the disconnect between students is huge. The general atmosphere is cold and I just hate it. It's worth noting that I do like my course, I'm comfortable with it and the University is renowned for students finding incredibly successful employment as a result of this course from the Uni.

So, onto my question; I cannot see for the life of me how I can settle in here, I can't make someone like the things I like and I don't want to feign interest in subjects. I'm sorry if that sounds pretentious or arrogant but I'm gonna be blunt. I was thinking of dropping out, taking a gap year to find some part time employment and then volunteer overseas for a few months. What are your thoughts on that and is it a tad rash or not?

Give it time. You'll make friends fast. Join societies and clubs.
same.

coming to university has been the worst decision of my life so far.
fresher's week has just been traumatising.

personally, I'm going to give it a term to see if things get any better. if they don't, hopefully when I drop out they wont be able to take any more money from me and I wont have paid them a few grand for just a week or two.
dont worry forget freinds just study hard or get a job be keep busy join a gym do alot of things you will forget about friends
Reply 4
what stuff do you like, OP? did you know that you can set up your own society in most unit? :smile:
Original post by Riku
what stuff do you like, OP? did you know that you can set up your own society in most unit? :smile:

I like video games, board games, independent cinema, football etc. Sadly, societies are dead and it's very hard to get people to join. I might as well tell you I'm at BCU. There are 8 campuses there, meaning there are approximately 20,000 students I will never see and there is zero society structure or encouragement from the SU. The website for the SU is also very broken, dead links and errors everywhere so it's hard to make it accessible to people if I was to make a society.

I feel kinda trapped here and I don't know what to do. I know it isn'tthe course I dislike, it's the Uni itself, what would you recommend? Stick it out or make the decision?
Original post by IllmaticDragon
same.

coming to university has been the worst decision of my life so far.
fresher's week has just been traumatising.

personally, I'm going to give it a term to see if things get any better. if they don't, hopefully when I drop out they wont be able to take any more money from me and I wont have paid them a few grand for just a week or two.

I think you have to drop out before the first installment of money is going to the University as there are no refunds and you'll add an extra 3K of debt.

What have you found disheartening about Uni, is it the social stuff or course or both?
Reply 7
This is why moving into halls is important, all my current friends are from flatmates or people in my halls
I was the same, its a new environment it will take time getting used to

Quick Reply

Latest