The Student Room Group

French revolution - ancien regime

I'm struggling with this AS history essay - "How important were the ideas of enlightenment in undermining the Ancien Regime".

I have some ideas such as
* The Philosophes
* The effect of education
* The effect on society
* The effect on the monarchy.

Against -
* Foreign Policy
* Economic Crisis

Am I missing any points?
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
Original post by Annie66
I'm struggling with this AS history essay - "How important were the ideas of enlightenment in undermining the Ancien Regime".

I have some ideas such as
* The Philosophes
* The effect of education
* The effect on society
* The effect on the monarchy.

Against -
* Foreign Policy
* Economic Crisis

Am I missing any points?

Just some quick ideas:
- The separation of powers was elaborated by Montesquieu.
- The trials of Sirven, Jean Calas, Jean-François de La Barre, and Lally-Tollendal (google them) were denounced by Voltaire, who called for a better judicial system.
- The Philosophers also pushed for the end of slavery, search for the Société des Amis des Noirs.
- Most of them were not catholic (atheists or theists) and therefore criticized the Church - which was part of the State - and the divine right monarchy.

You will get more ideas by reading the biographies of the Philosophers (Voltaire, Rousseau, Montesquieu, Mably, Diderot, Condorcet, etc.) and the Encyclopédie. Several of their translated writings are available on Wikisource; it would be very valuable for both your essay and your knowledge to take a look at them.
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Author:Voltaire

HTH
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending