The Student Room Group

Second Year Law - I want to be anywhere but here

Hi Everyone!

This is my first post in TSR but I'm in desperate need of some rational advice from people in a similar situation.

Background: Previously at Exeter, I had to leave due to financial issues, so I took a gap year for 2012/2013 and then joined a new university to start my law degree (again). Didn't really have a family/not much contact with my mum, lived with my fiance's parents (who are a god send).

So here I am now.

I'm a second year Law student - did alright last year got 68 and had massive personal issues (my mum died). Got through it all came out the other side, hated first year an awful lot, probably cried more than I smiled but I got through it because I thought that's what I should do. Worked a lot over summer and enjoyed it - money - woo! Got engaged, saw the world, what is this new found life I have outside of being sat at a desk reading hundreds of pages all week!?!

Term starts again, and I am overwhelmed with a perpetual dislike for my degree, no enthusiasm or interest for my modules and I've decided over summer that I don't wish to practice Law at the end of my degree or take the LPC course. I think I want to go into Management or Facilities Management which is not dissimilar to the role I did whilst on gap year.

I'm back to sitting at a desk for 10 hours a day, bored out of my brain, hate my house, hate the university lifestyle (I've already lived on my own, ran my own house, settled down with my man - students shouting outside of my window at 3am in a house with mould and a shower about as powerful as someone spitting on me; yay), and most of all I dislike my course.

If I left, I wouldn't want to do another degree, I'm bored of all this. If I got a job, I'd want it to be in the field which I wanted to go into - easier said than done. I'd need a job with at least £18k and excellent career training/prospects so as I could support myself in my own place with my partner.

What. Do. I. Do? :frown::confused:

Should you stay in something that your heart isn't in because that's what people do or should I get out and live/enjoy life?
Stay but actively look for jobs.

You're in your second year so if I were you I would stick it out till the end because it would be slightly easier if you had a degree to get a job in a management position (in my opinion).

You also got fantastic results despite your circumstancrs so congratulations. I believe that you can come out with a good 2:1 of even a first.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by troubledstudent
Hi Everyone!

This is my first post in TSR but I'm in desperate need of some rational advice from people in a similar situation.

Background: Previously at Exeter, I had to leave due to financial issues, so I took a gap year for 2012/2013 and then joined a new university to start my law degree (again). Didn't really have a family/not much contact with my mum, lived with my fiance's parents (who are a god send).

So here I am now.

I'm a second year Law student - did alright last year got 68 and had massive personal issues (my mum died). Got through it all came out the other side, hated first year an awful lot, probably cried more than I smiled but I got through it because I thought that's what I should do. Worked a lot over summer and enjoyed it - money - woo! Got engaged, saw the world, what is this new found life I have outside of being sat at a desk reading hundreds of pages all week!?!

Term starts again, and I am overwhelmed with a perpetual dislike for my degree, no enthusiasm or interest for my modules and I've decided over summer that I don't wish to practice Law at the end of my degree or take the LPC course. I think I want to go into Management or Facilities Management which is not dissimilar to the role I did whilst on gap year.

I'm back to sitting at a desk for 10 hours a day, bored out of my brain, hate my house, hate the university lifestyle (I've already lived on my own, ran my own house, settled down with my man - students shouting outside of my window at 3am in a house with mould and a shower about as powerful as someone spitting on me; yay), and most of all I dislike my course.

If I left, I wouldn't want to do another degree, I'm bored of all this. If I got a job, I'd want it to be in the field which I wanted to go into - easier said than done. I'd need a job with at least £18k and excellent career training/prospects so as I could support myself in my own place with my partner.

What. Do. I. Do? :frown::confused:

Should you stay in something that your heart isn't in because that's what people do or should I get out and live/enjoy life?

Having been in almost exactly the same position - I have my Law degree now, a 2.1 from a good uni but absolutely hated the first two years, almost dropped out multiple times and had severe depression because of it - I would say stick it out if you can. You did really well in your first year - I got a very low 2.2 in both first and second years, but managed to come out with a 2.1. It has helped me so much in my career to say I have a 2.1 in Law from a good uni, I got my job against 11 other people who were interviewed all of whom had masses of relevant experience when I had none. My manager has even said he gave me a chance because my degree shows I'm intelligent.

It's boring and tedious but it will help you so much later, and having a degree means you are eligible for all of the management graduate schemes. It really does open doors and even if you HATE it now, it's worth it in the end

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending