The Student Room Group

How are organnelles involved in making hormones?

It says: pancreatic cells make and secrete hormones (made of protein) into the blood. From production to secretion, list the organelles involved in making protein.

I've been learning all about the organelles but nowhere seems to mention hormones :mad: just that the plasma membrane has receptor molecules which allow it to respond to chemicals like hormones

Really appreciate the help :smile:
Reply 1
The key here is the (made of protein) bit, you should know that proteins in a cell are synthesised by ribosomes, however this is not the answer here as ribosomes only produce proteins for use within the cell. The Rough ER is where the proteins for secretion are produced and stored, the hormone then travels in a vesicle to the golgi apparatus where it is processed and packaged and sent in another vesicle to the membrane where it is secreted.
Original post by Maya331
It says: pancreatic cells make and secrete hormones (made of protein) into the blood. From production to secretion, list the organelles involved in making protein.

I've been learning all about the organelles but nowhere seems to mention hormones :mad: just that the plasma membrane has receptor molecules which allow it to respond to chemicals like hormones

Really appreciate the help :smile:

As Whizbox says, the question is not really asking you to write anything about hormones, it is asking you proteins are synthesized. Since some (but not all) hormones are proteins, and your question is specifically mentioning protein hormones, so you just need to write the steps from transcription of DNA to translation of mRNA into a protein. After that, the proteins undergo posttranslational modifications in ER and are packaged in Golgi to be transported out of cells. I am not elucidating any of these steps, as I think you know about them. If not, ask away! :smile:
Reply 3
Oh I seee, yeah I get it now thanks you two!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending