The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

York is an ancient city, not merely a historic city.

Anywhere looks terrible on an overcast day.
Original post by Miss Posh

Now look at the miserable and oppressive British York. This city is supposed to be the best looking city in the UK. What an absolute flop it is compared with the European cities:

Do not knock the York Shambles they are ****ing amazing. It is like walking down diagon alley when your there.

In all seriousness York is one of the most beautiful cities in Europe, it has history oozing from the wood work.
I know right! I've been to London and all the buildings are grey. Looked like a dump if you took away the sharp and the glassy buildings. Benatky, Berlin, PRAGUE, and even smaller cities in europe are just amazing
Chester looks nice.

Not that you'd know that if you only listened to the residents though. They just complain and forget they live in such a nice city... *sigh*
The rest of Europe has its fair share of monstrosities too.Berlin (although I do love its edgy charm) Belgrade, Warsaw, Athens (outside of the roman ruins)... Paris often considered the most beautiful city is actually a sham which stinks of piss and has a terrible rubbish problem.

We have plenty of nice cities and towns.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Gwilym101
Do not knock the York Shambles they are ****ing amazing. It is like walking down diagon alley when your there.

In all seriousness York is one of the most beautiful cities in Europe, it has history oozing from the wood work.

how many cities have you been in :O it has nothing on some of them
Reply 26
Original post by Guybrush Sheepgood
Even though you're a troll I still feel compelled to say that the UK has lovely medieval cities, Bath, York, Oxford, Edinburgh etc. Most countries in Europe also have disgusting industrial turds like Manchester and Birmingham.

Whoah whoah whoah, Manchester has it's moments......
Reply 27
Anyone can pick a bad shot of York and say it looks bad, and then find great ones of European cities and say that they're amazing.

York-e1268657751196.jpg

See, York from that angle does it justice.

hotelKupa.jpg

Prague from this one doesn't.
Reply 28
Because all us Brits are fat ugly stupid uncultured working class plebeians aren't we OP...

I THINK I've figured out what you're doing, akthough your threads started reasonably, now you're stereotyping the average TSRian as some pretentious upper middle class girl with an overblown ego and entitlement complex who take 'gap yahs' in Paris, and only dates 'sexy Oxbridge boys' and guys with 10 inch dicks.

5/10 and thanks for the paranoia spike in that last thread btw
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Wattsy
Anyone can pick a bad shot of York and say it looks bad, and then find great ones of European cities and say that they're amazing.

See, York from that angle does it justice.

Prague from this one doesn't.

Are you kidding? That skyway looks awesome. I bet you see a cracking view of Prague from it.
Reply 30
Original post by Riku
Because all us Brits are fat ugly stupid uncultured working class plebeians aren't we OP...

I've figured out what you're doing, you're stereotyping the average TSRian as some pretentious upper middle class girl with an overblown ego and entitlement complex who take 'gap yahs' in Paris, and only dates 'sexy Oxbridge boys', rich alpha male hipsters and guys with 10 inch dicks.

5/10 and thanks for the paranoia spike in that last thread btw

I did. I've been to 6 countries so far this year. I'm going to Iceland in December too.

TBH. Most girls aspire to be like this, which makes you very insecure doesn't it?
Reply 31
Original post by Miss Posh
I did. I've been to 6 countries so far this year. I'm going to Iceland in December too.

TBH. Most girls aspire to be like this, which makes you very insecure doesn't it?

Aha. You target me of all respondents to the thread. Checkmate.

Of course it makes me insecure, no reasonable woman on planet Earth would expect a guy to pay for 7 flipping holidays in one year. I may be Redpilled but I still have some blue in me love.
Original post by TurndownforWha
how many cities have you been in :O it has nothing on some of them

London, Paris, Venice, Florence, Rome, Cologne, Copenhagen, Granada. I've lost track of the rest.

I'm not saying it definitely is the most beautiful city in europe, but it is a beautiful city. It's also got loads of history and its one of those cities where it's constantly had bits destroyed, knocked down, built over, so its overflowing with quirkiness and character. Other cities where the architecture is largely consistent just don't have that same level of soul that cities like York do, they might be very pretty but to me they just never have that sort character. Venice had it as well (not least because the bottom three feet of every where you do is green and the whole place smells of sulphur as it keeps flooding), but its also got these winding alcoves and alleys that you could wander around and always find something remarkable. Although I tend to exclude Venice from city comparisons because its so unique its hard to compare to other cities.

My post was also more in defence of the Shambles than anything else, because they're brilliant. These tiny little streets with all these oddly shaped mis-matching buildings, selling all sorts of weird stuff, it's great wandering around there.
Reply 33
Taking a snap of a city with a grey sky or a low res camera is enough to make any place look miserable.

Also, look at the size of the UK, now look at the size of the rest of Europe.
1280px-Europe_polar_stereographic_Caucasus_Urals_boundary.svg.png

Then look at the UK compared to the individual countries of the rest of Europe, pretty much each country has its own history and architectural influences. It's kinda unfair to put them all against the UK.
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
Taking a snap of a city with a grey sky or a low res camera is enough to make any place look miserable.

1280px-Europe_polar_stereographic_Caucasus_Urals_boundary.svg.png

Then look at the UK compared to the individual countries of the rest of Europe, pretty much each country has its own history and architectural influences. It's kinda unfair to put them all against the UK.

I don't really understand your second point - Italy is smaller than the UK but it arguably has more beautiful places.
Reply 35

I think it's a shame that British cities aren't as pretty as European ones. Granted, what I find attractive might but ugly to you. It's somewhat subjective.

I only like Georgian architecture. It's so irreducibly complex in its appearance. Buildings built in this style look like formula or concise sentence.

That said, I find the intricacy and ornamented style of say German buildings very alluring. It's a tremendous shame that the UK never fully embraced the Baroque style because all those statues on lots of European buildings look wonderful... I think St Paul's Cathedral is one of the few buildings built in a Baroque style in the UK.

Also, after WW2, our government didn't rebuild our cities as they were before the Nazis bombed them out. They replaced all the Gothic architecture with those ghastly high rises to accommodate the baby boomers.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 36
London, Paris, Venice, Florence, Rome, Cologne, Copenhagen, Granada. I've lost track of the rest.

I'm not saying it definitely is the most beautiful city in europe, but it is a beautiful city. It's also got loads of history and its one of those cities where it's constantly had bits destroyed, knocked down, built over, so its overflowing with quirkiness and character. Other cities where the architecture is largely consistent just don't have that same level of soul that cities like York do, they might be very pretty but to me they just never have that sort character. Venice had it as well (not least because the bottom three feet of every where you do is green and the whole place smells of sulphur as it keeps flooding), but its also got these winding alcoves and alleys that you could wander around and always find something remarkable. Although I tend to exclude Venice from city comparisons because its so unique its hard to compare to other cities.

My post was also more in defence of the Shambles than anything else, because they're brilliant. These tiny little streets with all these oddly shaped mis-matching buildings, selling all sorts of weird stuff, it's great wandering around there.

I really like those small streets with mismatched houses that look like they're close to falling :biggrin: I saw such places in Norwich and Warwick :smile:
Reply 37

I think it's a shame that British cities aren't as pretty as European ones. Granted, what I find attractive might but ugly to you. It's somewhat subjective.

I only like Georgian architecture. It's so irreducibly complex in its appearance. Buildings built in this style look like formula or concise sentences.

That said, I find the intricacy and ornamented style of say German buildings very alluring. It's a tremendous shame that the UK never fully embraced the Baroque style because all those statues on lots of European buildings look wonderful... I think St Paul's Cathedral is one of the few buildings built in a Baroque style in the UK.

Also, after WW2, our government didn't rebuild our cities as they were before the Nazis bombed them out. They replaced all the Gothic architecture with those ghastly high rises to accommodate the baby boomers.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by Guybrush Sheepgood
I don't really understand your second point - Italy is smaller than the UK but it arguably has more beautiful places.

I suppose I did go off on a tangent :s-smilie: But it did seem like OP implied that all British cities look terrible compared to any European cities, to which I thought that there are a lot more cities in the latter group that surely at least one European city doesn't look as good as a British one.
Reply 39
I suppose I did go off on a tangent :s-smilie: But it did seem like OP implied that all British cities look terrible compared to any European cities, to which I thought that there are a lot more cities in the latter group that surely at least one European city doesn't look as good as a British one.

Sure there is variation. I think that what is deemed as the most attractive British city i.e. Bath/York/ and a rather conspicuous Edinburgh is subordinate to the most attractive European cities like Venice, Prague, Tallinn, Zurich and Vienna etc.

For such a powerful country, the UK falls short compared to its European neighbours.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest