The Student Room Group

Incorporate medicine with engineering/architecture in personal statement?

Anyone else attempted before?
Original post by lalaloopy700
Anyone else attempted before?

Medical schools aren't interested in flip-floppers - if they see your PS is not 100% geared towards medicine they'll simply chuck it. Why would they pick someone half-interested when they are already oversubscribed with people who actually want to do the course?
Seriously, don't bother. Both courses, medicine in particular, are extremely over-subscribed. One look at a half-interested PS and your application will be in the bin.

Also - it doesn't sound like you're entirely sure what course you want to do. Studying medicine is a massive commitment, please don't do it unless you are 100% sure that it is the course for you. If not, you'll hate the next few years of your life.
Don't do it. Applying for two different subjects is always an incredibly bad idea, particularly for something as absurdly competitive as medicine. As Democracy said, there are thousands of people applying for Medicine who are 100% dedicated - why would they even consider someone who clearly isn't? If you're in a position where you're intending to apply for Medicine, Engineering and Architecture, you're nowhere near the point of being in the position to actually apply. Please, do your research.
Reply 4
hmm thank you interested in medicine defo but chances of getting in are low so other subject the fifth i would like to choose architecture but i guess something like chemistry will have to do
Reply 5
I wouldnt advise this. I would take work experience in both fields and see which you enjoy more. Medicine is very time consuming and requires 100% dedication to it. As others have said, if they say you're 50/50 your personal statement will get chucked in the bin! Take a gap year or time away to make a firm decision.
No one has ever tried that because it's a poor idea
Original post by lalaloopy700
hmm thank you interested in medicine defo but chances of getting in are low so other subject the fifth i would like to choose architecture but i guess something like chemistry will have to do

If I were you, I'd get in touch with the uni you plan to apply to architecture for and explain the situation, and see if they'd accept an alternative PS in lieu of your medicine PS. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had this problem, I wanted to apply for English Lit and Medicine. In the end I just applied for Medicine only and resigned myself to a gap year (and THEN applying for English Lit!) if it didn't work out. I think it's really messed up that UCAS doesn't let you enter more than one personal statement, considering they restrict applications to Medicine to just 4.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending