The Student Room Group

Maths help

a<b "implies" or " is equivalent to" a-x<b-x

a<b & c<0 "implies" or "is equivalent to" ac>bc

a<0 "implies" or " is equivalent to" 1/a<0

Please explain to me how you got the answer. I know it's basic maths but I just can't get my head around it. Thanks.

"Implies" has the sign =>
"Is equivalent to" has the sign <=>
(edited 9 years ago)
Please help me.
Original post by xpointx
a

Edit: Just realised I got completely the wrong end of the stick on what you meant after all that, sorry :colondollar: See Kallisto's answer...
(edited 9 years ago)
Do you have any difficulties with the phrases, don't you?

I would say the phrase "equivalent to" is used when the terms are different, but the result the same. Thus the phrase "implies" is used when a result is a consequence of a consideration.

Example for "equivalent to":

1/2 = 2/4

Example for "implies":

+ = c², where = c*q and = c*p => = c*q + c*p

To solve your inequations, I would recommend you to put concrete numbers in variables just for yourself.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by xpointx
a<b "implies" or " is equivalent to" a-x<b-x

a<b & c<0 "implies" or "is equivalent to" ac>bc

a<0 "implies" or " is equivalent to" 1/a<0

Please explain to me how you got the answer. I know it's basic maths but I just can't get my head around it. Thanks.

"Implies" has the sign =>
"Is equivalent to" has the sign <=>

Please help me
Original post by xpointx
Please help me

...We did? Although I just realised my edit overwrote my original post which is annoying :unimpressed: You need to explain what you mean and what you want help with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xpointx
Please help me

The sign 'implies' is used whenever a formula is converted to a certain quantity or whenever a term of a formula is derivated by thinking about the connections.

The sign 'is equivalent to' is used whenever a term or a quantity can be traced back to another term or another quantity.

Here is an example:

When A implies B, but not vice versa, so its the implication sign =>
When A implies B and vice versa, so its the equivalent sign <=>
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest