The Student Room Group

Transcription

Basically I'm stuck. mRNA is single-stranded and therefore able to pass through the nuclear pores. But in my textbook, it goes through the process of transcription (breaking of hydrogen bonds, two separate strands, free RNA nucleotides forming H bonds with template strand) which ends up with a double stranded molecule. Then it says mRNA moves out of pores, and attaches to a ribosome. But does the molecules split up again after so it's single-stranded?
Original post by errrr...
Basically I'm stuck. mRNA is single-stranded and therefore able to pass through the nuclear pores. But in my textbook, it goes through the process of transcription (breaking of hydrogen bonds, two separate strands, free RNA nucleotides forming H bonds with template strand) which ends up with a double stranded molecule. Then it says mRNA moves out of pores, and attaches to a ribosome. But does the molecules split up again after so it's single-stranded?

mRNA doesn't need to be split up anymore as it's already single-stranded and the whole strand needs to be complete so it can be translated.

Quick Reply

Latest