The Student Room Group

At uni and no friends ... are you kidding me

In life there will come a time where you will have to stand up and talk in front of an audience. So man up! to all those people complaining I am at uni but have no friends...etc Just go out there be bold and make some! Introduce yourself, have a laugh, don't care about the outcomes. discover for yourself!
If your not trying to stand out to people why will they go out of their way to be friends with you.
On behalf of all the people struggling to make friends at uni, I'd just like to say thank you for making this thread. After reading this, we will now have no trouble befriending people.
Excellent! Problem solved! Lucky you didn't copyright this because I'm about to steal it off you and make millions!

**Maniacal laughter**
Oh shut up, OP. It's not as simple as that. If it were so easy people wouldn't be making threads about it.
Oh yeah like you know every person's situation. I am sure people that go to uni want to have a good time and make friends but at times its difficult e.g. they have social anxiety, aspergers etc... Other times people do try but they get stuck with difficult people who dont want to be their friends its happened to me a few times and many other people I know. Its easier said than done.
Ah, yes! I tried this. Unfortunately, I'm now in my third year, and it would seem they've already made their decisions about me. Too bad for me, I guess!
OP has made 1 friend at university and thinks he is boss:rolleyes:
Original post by G8D
You don't "copyright" something, it's an automatic process.

Yes, good job, Sherlock. Too bad you missed the joke.
Original post by sliceofcake
Ah, yes! I tried this. Unfortunately, I'm now in my third year, and it would seem they've already made their decisions about me. Too bad for me, I guess!

Sorry to hear that I am guessing you dont really enjoy uni? I know many others in the same boat. But at least your nearly finished
Original post by ineedtorevise127
Sorry to hear that I am guessing you dont really enjoy uni? I know many others in the same boat. But at least your nearly finished

I do and I don't. I like the learning, and the general atmosphere on campus can be quite nice. But sometimes I do feel a bit of dread going to university because I know what the people can be like, especially because I have to do a graded presentation with 'a partner' this semester. I'm hoping the lecturer will pair us together but he's more likely to assume we'll be able to pair ourselves up. Looking forward to that day! (I'm not)
I've always been quite introverted, so I'm not struggling with it as much as someone more sociable would, but yes, I'm nearly finished now so it's not that much of a concern.
I do and I don't. I like the learning, and the general atmosphere on campus can be quite nice. But sometimes I do feel a bit of dread going to university because I know what the people can be like, especially because I have to do a graded presentation with 'a partner' this semester. I'm hoping the lecturer will pair us together but he's more likely to assume we'll be able to pair ourselves up. Looking forward to that day! (I'm not)
I've always been quite introverted, so I'm not struggling with it as much as someone more sociable would, but yes, I'm nearly finished now so it's not that much of a concern.

Yeah I know what you mean do you have friends outside your course or anyone you know from societies? Idk if this helps maybe go to a few socieities regularly and see if you can talk to people and maybe they might end up being your friend doesnt matter if they are year 1 or year 2 right a friend is a friend tbh
Original post by ineedtorevise127
Yeah I know what you mean do you have friends outside your course or anyone you know from societies? Idk if this helps maybe go to a few socieities regularly and see if you can talk to people and maybe they might end up being your friend doesnt matter if they are year 1 or year 2 right a friend is a friend tbh

Oh yes, I still do have friends outside of my course, and I actually spend quite a lot of time with them, only one of them is from my course. Sorry, perhaps I should have made it clear that I was really referring to most of the people on my course. You'd think with a common interest it would be easier to make friends, but there are different personalities, I suppose.
Original post by G8D
The joke was based on a faulty premise. Thus it was not funny.

I bet you're fun at parties.
I think you're right OP, a lot of people have been complaining, but then when you read their complaints they haven't really actually made all that much effort.

Its too much "why can't I have friends, I deserve friends as much as anyone" and not enough "why would people want me as a friend, what do I offer them"

Welcome to TSR, where the solution to any problem is to self-diagnose yourself with "social anxiety" or "introversion". Then its no longer your fault that everyone thinks you're weird and anti-social - problem solved, right?
What about if you've made friends in the past with people like yourself but now they're all gone and there's no one like yourself. No one who shares your interests or who don't talk to you even if they did. Those of us with Asperger's genuinely struggle.

Also, although we want friends, but it's exhausting and we need people who are tolerant of our oddities. When there's no one like that left, what do you do?
Reply 15

I hate this too. Not because I have nobody who'd pair with me, but because it slows me down immeasurably.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending