The Student Room Group

Completely overwhelmed by living independently - university transfer?

I don't really know where to begin, I'm just thinking I've made a terrible decision. I really enjoy my subject, but I just don't think I can live here on my own. I'm not a social person and I can't cope with being around so many people all the time (I have been diagnosed with Asperger's). It's starting to have a bad effect on me now and I've only been here for less than a week. I'm not eating much even though my accommodation is catered for, I just feel too uncomfortable being around people. I feel as though I'm being forced to be constantly silent in this room or everyone else will realize that I'm here and start talking to me, or about me. Even when people walk past the window, I feel as though I have to try and act "normal" in case someone sees me. I'm thinking of transferring to a different university so I could live at home instead of in university accommodation, I just don't really know how I should go about doing that or who I should speak to. Is there any chance of being transferred this semester (since normal lecture weeks haven't started yet at this university or the other one)? I had previously applied there last year and received an offer but rejected it. I just know I won't be able to live here much longer. I'm also not really sure what to tell my parents either, they weren't really supportive of me moving away and told me I should have stayed home and gone to the university I now want to transfer to. Any advice?
Reply 1
You're going to have to live independently one day. Now is a good chance to get used to it.

Get some blinds if you don't want people seeing into your room.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm going through a similar situation, definitely considering transferring university to somewhere near home. I'm not really a social person and for the past few weeks, the only thing that's been happening at university is social events, where everyone just drinks (also not a fan of this). My parents also told me to go to the university that I am thinking of transferring to.

Who knows tho, it might all change, too early to call a decision now, I'll still apply for a transfer just incase nothing changes.
Reply 3
Original post by 6627878424
I don't really know where to begin, I'm just thinking I've made a terrible decision. I really enjoy my subject, but I just don't think I can live here on my own. I'm not a social person and I can't cope with being around so many people all the time (I have been diagnosed with Asperger's). It's starting to have a bad effect on me now and I've only been here for less than a week. I'm not eating much even though my accommodation is catered for, I just feel too uncomfortable being around people. I feel as though I'm being forced to be constantly silent in this room or everyone else will realize that I'm here and start talking to me, or about me. Even when people walk past the window, I feel as though I have to try and act "normal" in case someone sees me. I'm thinking of transferring to a different university so I could live at home instead of in university accommodation, I just don't really know how I should go about doing that or who I should speak to. Is there any chance of being transferred this semester (since normal lecture weeks haven't started yet at this university or the other one)? I had previously applied there last year and received an offer but rejected it. I just know I won't be able to live here much longer. I'm also not really sure what to tell my parents either, they weren't really supportive of me moving away and told me I should have stayed home and gone to the university I now want to transfer to. Any advice?

Maybe you could stay in the same university, but move to a better accommodation such as 1 bed flats or studio so you will not have to live with anyone. That's what I did last year.
Original post by 6627878424

Go speak to either disability support or a uni counsellor - perhaps they can put things in place to help you :smile: also, don't worry too much, though they may not show it, most people are also finding living away from home tough, so it's not unusual to feel overwhelmed :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel very similar to you. Really would prefer living at home and commuting to university.

Quick Reply

Latest