The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't drink because it's a personal decision, I don't like clubbing because it's too loud and I prefer talking to people [[as opposed to shouting in their ears over the music]]. I can do house parties because it's a lot quieter and there usually are multiple rooms to be in.

That said, I'd love to go to a rave sometime, which isn't really clubbing in my eyes.

I met my girlfriend at a birthday party of another friend, we just started talking and the rest was history [[Well, 4 months later that is]]. Hanging out with friends during the day is nice too, and when a friend goes to meet some of their friends who you don't know but you're invited, it's always a chance to meet more people, if not possible dates.

A lot of the people I know are via other people which is the easiest way, especially if you're not the type of person who'd go somewhere on their own and introduce yourself to the first person you meet.
Reply 2
Clubs are for socially insecure people who want to get laid. I did enough of that when I was 15.

I'd much prefer to spend my time in a nice wine bar. It's a lot more refined and allows one to talk about current affairs.
Original post by idontknowaname
Why do some people not drink? or not like clubbing? (if its not because of their religion)

How do they meet new people or date then?

i mean none of my dates are from school or uni

It is forbidden for Muslims to drink or go clubbing. Muslims get arranged married. love marriage is permitted if its kept within limitations set out by Islam ( no touching whatsoever). So if you like a girl/boy, then you will tell your parents and your parents will contact the parents of the boy/girl you like.
I don't get drunk, if I drink it's because I like the taste of whatever I'm drinking. I do go clubbing, though, which is actually pretty fun even when not drunk, but I'm a sucker for loud music and dancing. I've never used clubbing to find one night stands. I personally wouldn't date someone I met at a club, because everyone there is normally drunk and drunk people have a habit of making terrible first impressions on me...
I don't like alcohol, I don't like the taste, or the sensation of being drunk. I don't like clubs because they are loud, play awful music, crammed, and full of drunk people. I don't like parties for the same reason. I'm not interested in dating, I've never even had romantic feelings for anyone before... So that's why :smile:
I don't drink because of medication I'm on, and I don't particularly like the taste of most alcohol anyway. I don't go to clubs because I don't like loud music, flashing lights (although they probably don't all have them?), hot crowded rooms or any form of dancing, and virtually everyone else there having drunk a lot doesn't help those feelings. It's basically a combination of all the things I like least!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by vanessa409
I don't like alcohol, I don't like the taste, or the sensation of being drunk. I don't like clubs because they are loud, play awful music, crammed, and full of drunk people. I don't like parties for the same reason. I'm not interested in dating, I've never even had romantic feelings for anyone before... So that's why :smile:

You and I both share the same sentiment on clubbing.
I hate alcohol because I saw many times what harm it can do (family member died cause of alcohol, another family member got serious health problems etc.) and in general people become dumb once they have too much of alcohol. Clubbing.. I can think of other ways how to relax, I don't need to go there. In the past, I've seen what kind of ducks go there and I'd rather have a book in my hand than be another duck.

Also, there are other ways of meeting people other than clubs.
Reply 9
People complaining about taste, I hate most alcohol tastes, I still get ****ed to have a good laugh/night out with mates.

People complaining about clubs I can relate to, but not every club is the same. I like two clubs in my city because it's like underground kinda club and it's much better, atmosphere etc than the big mainstream ones.
Original post by ForgetMe
I hate alcohol because I saw many times what harm it can do (family member died cause of alcohol, another family member got serious health problems etc.) and in general people become dumb once they have too much of alcohol. Clubbing.. I can think of other ways how to relax, I don't need to go there. In the past, I've seen what kind of ducks go there and I'd rather have a book in my hand than be another duck.

Also, there are other ways of meeting people other than clubs.

Top part is real spit but everybody eventually dies, so do something you think is fun, and alcohol for a lot of university students, is extremely fun.
I drink a fair amount and am a fairly typical student in that regard. However, I detest clubs, because as far as I'm concerned there is just nothing that would make me want to go in one. The music generally isn't to my taste and is far too loud for you to hold any kind of conversation, which is silly for what's supposed to be a social event, they're invariably sweltering (and I get over-hot really easily so that's a big put-off for me), the drinks are too expensive, and it's not exactly fun to hunt down your friends through a crowd of sweaty, drunk strangers in the dark.

As a result I infinitely prefer house parties - they're normally a bit quieter, easier to hold conversation, you can escape outside to cool off when necessary (also tricky for me at clubs since I'm asthmatic and the only outside tends to be smoking areas), you bring your own booze, and most of the people there will be people you know. So, vastly superior in every way.
Because I've had more than my fill of that ****. Spent too many mornings wishing I was dead. It's ****ing poison. I have binged on a variety of substances over the years and not one of them has left me feeling the way alcohol does afterwards. I've had some great times on it but too much of it turns me into an animal. I hate being a drunken mess now. It's no longer worth the effort and it's quite a dangerous state to put yourself in in public. I'm just grateful that nothing serious has ever happened to me on it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Joshale
Top part is real spit but everybody eventually dies, so do something you think is fun, and alcohol for a lot of university students,is extremely fun.

Good for them, hopefully they won't get addicted to it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Joshale
Top part is real spit but everybody eventually dies, so do something you think is fun, and alcohol for a lot of university students, is extremely fun.

I really don't like this phrase being used to justify actions :/ Sure everyone dies eventually but why risk cutting it short in the name of 'having fun'?
I don't go clubbing because it's always so damn loud and I need to keep my hearing in top condition, above anything else. Besides, how you're expected to "meet people" at a club where you can't even hear each other's voices is beyond me.
Original post by Joshale
People complaining about taste, I hate most alcohol tastes, I still get ****ed to have a good laugh/night out with mates.

People complaining about clubs I can relate to, but not every club is the same. I like two clubs in my city because it's like underground kinda club and it's much better, atmosphere etc than the big mainstream ones.

Ever tried Crabbie's Ginger Beer? I can't get enough of that stuff!
I don't drink (mixture of health reasons...and just because...) but I did go clubbing back in my first year at university, more for the social aspect of just going out with friends, team-mates and/or flatmates. But getting pints of coca-cola adds up in terms of cost. :cool:
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
I really don't like this phrase being used to justify actions :/ Sure everyone dies eventually but why risk cutting it short in the name of 'having fun'?

why waste a life without having fun? looking back when you're older and remembering those good times you had.
Original post by XMaramena
Ever tried Crabbie's Ginger Beer? I can't get enough of that stuff!

no but I also don't like ginger beer

Latest

Trending

Trending