The Student Room Group

Unconditional Offers

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone knows how likely it is to get an unconditional offer based purely on predicted grades,and which unis are more likely to offer it? I've heard Birmingham does this but I'm not sure what kind of predicted grades would be needed for this...
Cheers :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Dan205
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone knows how likely it is to get an unconditional offer based purely on predicted grades,and which unis are more likely to offer it? I've heard Birmingham does this but I'm not sure what kind of predicted grades would be needed for this...

Really, very unlikely, I suspect. Don't even think of it as a possibility. If you've got very good predicted grades and are clearly an able candidate then... you should be able to achieve the offer easily. Occasionally, a lower offer might be given just to help that buffer a bit, but at least them giving you an offer means you'll continue/see it through, compared with an unconditional where actually it wouldn't matter what your grades were.
Some Universities (including Birmingham) tried this tactic last year as a way of stopping people getting their results and dropping their Firm in favour of somewhere else in Adjustment. (If you are holding an Unconditional place you are not eligible for Adjustment ie. no conditions to exceed). Whether this 'worked' I have no idea and if they will do the same thing again this year, who knows.

Whilst an Unconditional offer might sound like a dream offer, think carefully before you make this your Firm. Info about the drawbacks etc in this article : : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Firm_and_insurance_choices
Reply 3
Girl I know got an unconditional at Birmingham ,with ABB at AS I think....
It certainly wasn't straight As. But it was only unconditional if she firmed it.
Which she did.
Reply 4
Ah Okayy,thanks for the help :smile: Yeahh I was just asking because my a level situation is a bit odd. I've already taken my maths a2 level and got an A for it, and this year am also taking further maths,Biology and chemistry, and am overall predicted to come out with A*AAB I think. I'm applying to Exeter,Birmingham,Nottingham,brunel and Liverpool for biological sciences. Do you think these grades would be good enough to get offers from most?
Original post by Dan205
Ah Okayy,thanks for the help :smile: Yeahh I was just asking because my a level situation is a bit odd. I've already taken my maths a2 level and got an A for it, and this year am also taking further maths,Biology and chemistry, and am overall predicted to come out with A*AAB I think. I'm applying to Exeter,Birmingham,Nottingham,brunel and Liverpool for biological sciences. Do you think these grades would be good enough to get offers from most?

It's not unlikely you'll get offers from all five.
With an A already in Maths (I assume your school does the double maths format of maths in y12, further in y13?), you'll potentially get a two grade offer as opposed to a three grade offer, but an unconditional offer is very very unlikely.
Reply 6
Yeahh my school does do that :smile: do they usually take into account the best three grades overall then? Because i was slightly worried that the B prediction in chemistry may lower offers
Two people at my sixth form got unconditional offers from Birmingham last year, one got AACC at AS and had an amazing personal statement (not sure about the other one) and a few people had offers from places that were given on the basis that they would be unconditional if they were firmed :smile:
Reply 8
I guess it depends on the course you're applying for too?
Reply 9
Oh that's really encouraging then I suppose :smile:
Reply 10
And I'm applying to bioscience courses at every uni I'm applying to :smile:
Unconditional offers are normally for students who already have the grades. It would be very unlikely for you to receive one based purely on your AS grades.

As you already have an A in Maths you'll likely get a two grade offer rather than a three grade offer.
Original post by SirMasterKey
Unconditional offers are normally for students who already have the grades. It would be very unlikely for you to receive one based purely on your AS grades.

As you already have an A in Maths you'll likely get a two grade offer rather than a three grade offer.

Yes, I was also under the impression that you had to have completed your A levels, eg a gap year student, to get an unconditional offer.

Even 'Star' candidates get conditional offers if they haven't yet sat their A levels.
Reply 13
Original post by ez_accountancy
Yes, I was also under the impression that you had to have completed your A levels, eg a gap year student, to get an unconditional offer.

Even 'Star' candidates get conditional offers if they haven't yet sat their A levels.

Yes I was pretty certain it'd be unlikely :tongue: but it's good that my A-Level from last year will count as well, I was genuinely worried that I'd have to somehow boost my chemistry grade up from a C to an A... Urghhh the very thought haha
A few universities have started doing it for students with good grades IF the student makes the university their firm choice.

It is a very small number of uni's and a small number of applicants but it isn't unheard of.

Edit: Birminghams Unconditional Offer Scheme 2015
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Thank you :smile:
Just found out today that I've got an unconditional offer to study Modern Languages at Birmingham. Got AABD at AS and had an okay personal statement. Languages courses are often under subscribed though so that might be why? I have to put it as my firm choice, otherwise it's a conditional offer of AAB
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dan205
Hi,

Oh, forgot to mention I also have predicted grades of AAA
Reply 18
Ah Okayy, thank you :smile: I'm applying this week hopefully!
Original post by Dan205
Ah Okayy, thank you :smile: I'm applying this week hopefully!

Good luck!! :smile:

Quick Reply