The Student Room Group

GCSES - necessary or not?

Was talking with my friends about this today - I am in year ten and doing a great deal of GCSE coursework at the moment. I was thinking why is it that we take these exams? I personally enjoy them and see them as a challenge but that is mainly because I am interested in school as a whole. However, I know many people who feel under so much parental pressure and pressure from teachers to meet expectations that they are already struggling to cope. GCSES do effect so much and is it really wise to do these at a time when teenagers are at their least stable? I'd love opinions on this and just on the exam system as a whole.
I think its easy for people to criticise the system, but i think very few realise the bigger picture. I'm a year 10 and i'm going through the same stuff, the work is harder definitely, enjoying it though :wink: but more than training you to "pass the exam", getting an a* shows the ability to fully grasp, understand, apply and use subject specific skills in short amounts of time. Yes some aren't naturally as good as others at certain subjects, and people may say that its an unfair way to "judge" people, but in my opinion it should be seen as motivation to work hard, to try and grasp new concepts, an important skill throughout life, and i also know theres many many people who work hard but still dont get the highest grades, but the fact they put in effort will have improved their grade, making them seen slightly better off than their less-hardworking counterpart. Also, with the ridiculous size of the population, its hard not to find a way to "judge" or "test" peoples abilities which will make them more "employable", the amount of competition for anything these days is just another reason for someone to work extra hard to get grades to improve their life a little bit :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gozzabomb
I think its easy for people to criticise the system, but i think very few realise the bigger picture. I'm a year 10 and i'm going through the same stuff, the work is harder definitely, enjoying it though :wink: but more than training you to "pass the exam", getting an a* shows the ability to fully grasp, understand, apply and use subject specific skills in short amounts of time. Yes some aren't naturally as good as others at certain subjects, and people may say that its an unfair way to "judge" people, but in my opinion it should be seen as motivation to work hard, to try and grasp new concepts, an important skill throughout life, and i also know theres many many people who work hard but still dont get the highest grades, but the fact they put in effort will have improved their grade, making them seen slightly better off than their less-hardworking counterpart. Also, with the ridiculous size of the population, its hard not to find a way to "judge" or "test" peoples abilities which will make them more "employable", the amount of competition for anything these days is just another reason for someone to work extra hard to get grades to improve their life a little bit :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest, in my case I agree and I also enjoy a bit of hard work-I see it as exciting, a challenge :wink: it's like every time I have chosen to put the work in has paid off now because I know more than some other people and everything is starting to make sense. I can see how this may be different for a lot of people however and I just think that a lot of pressure is put on teenagers who are often unstable anyway. And it just seems so easy for people to make their lives way more difficult :frown:
exactly, but i guess life ahead isnt easy, its a tough time and people come out more mature and (hopefully) more educated :wink:
Reply 4
Of course they are necessary. They are more than necessary, actually.

Firstly, they do build up skills. It is probably the first time you'll be introduced to an extended piece of writing that actually matters. Unless you're going for something practical (Which still may require reports), you could be ding extended pieces of writing for the next 40 years. Best to get a good start.

They are completely necessary to get you on to your A-Level courses; particularly if you go to a competitive course or sixth form. It is no surprise that the majority fail to get a B in subjects like Maths, Biology and Chemistry at GCSE often fail to reach the top grades at AS and A2. Its important to have the foundations in place for A2 by developing your skills and knowledge at GCSE and being as ready as you can be for A-Levels.

They're necessary if you want to go to go on to university. Any half decent university will require a C in Maths and English; as will most employers.

I agree with your point about the pressure. The fact all GCSEs and A-Levels are going modular and 100% of the courses will be done in one summer is absolutely crazy. Its not on, at all. Some students will be able to cope with the pressure, others won't. GCSEs are not significant in terms of deciding how your life will pan out and whether or not you will have a successful career, no, but once a student builds up a desire to do well and wants to achieve grades X, Y and Z then there will always be pressure.

I'd favour a system where a number of exams are taken throughout the year on specific topics. This increases the need for consistency and the exams could be in more detail, which is a good thing. How many of us spent hours in our revision book revising how significant Louis Pasteur's germ theory was to only get into the exam and see that the choice of questions is on Florence Nightingale, William Harvey and public health in Rome/Egypt. Instead, there could be an exam on 'Public health within ancient societies', 'The advances of medicine during the renaissance' and the 'Pioneers of public health' all spread out throughout the year with other exams.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending