The Student Room Group

Degree classification uel.

Hello, I go to UEL and I have no idea how to calculate my classification. http://www.uel.ac.uk/hsb/student/enqdesk/helpdeskfaqspage6/ It says under the headline graduate that they will take your 5 best in your first and second year. Recently they changed the system for 4 modules and I am in second year right now. I want to know if there is a possibility to get a 2:1 or a first(wishful thinking).

If there is please let me know and help me figure out calculating the grades. Thanks.
(edited 8 years ago)
It is usually done by taking the mean of all your grades in year 2 and 3 and then multiplying year 2 by .33 and year 3 by .66. I'm not sure what it means by the best 100 credits, but from memory, a single module at uni was worth 15 credits and a double was 30. You did 8 modules in a year meaning that you did (8 x 15) 120 credits worth.

So.

What UEL appear to do is discount 20 credits from each year and then apply the above sum, which makes things a bit tricky, but I would guess that at least one of your capped modules is going to count.

If you look in your university handbook, it should tell you how many credits each module is worth - something like applied anatomy (20 credits) biological science (30 credits). With the two that you have capped, if they add up to more than 20 credits then they will count towards your final degree.
UEL has apparently changed the classifications as a pre-requisite for their IET accreditation review.
I'm on my 3rd year and I am chasing some people to figure out exactly how will this apply to current students, since the beginning of the semester. They have been doing some nasty things as taking students out of the modules in mid November because they don't meet the criteria (Why not do this in September!?)

Obviously when we started our degrees the classification assessment was different, so i find it unlikely that they can just pull the plug like that.

There is another issue to be taken into account. Transitional programs will finish on the first semester of the the 2015-2016 year. I'm not sure if you have finished your degree by then, if not, or if you fail any module, be sure you don't past this deadline as it is unsure what will happen afterwords.

So far no one seems to know a lot about it, so I am guessing you have to speak with your module leader (send an e-mail to get it written) and personally discuss your options. There's no point aiming for a 1st and finishing with 68 average.

Best of luck
Reply 3
Original post by cts_casemod
UEL has apparently changed the classifications as a pre-requisite for their IET accreditation review.
I'm on my 3rd year and I am chasing some people to figure out exactly how will this apply to current students, since the beginning of the semester. They have been doing some nasty things as taking students out of the modules in mid November because they don't meet the criteria (Why not do this in September!?)

Obviously when we started our degrees the classification assessment was different, so i find it unlikely that they can just pull the plug like that.

There is another issue to be taken into account. Transitional programs will finish on the first semester of the the 2015-2016 year. I'm not sure if you have finished your degree by then, if not, or if you fail any module, be sure you don't past this deadline as it is unsure what will happen afterwords.

So far no one seems to know a lot about it, so I am guessing you have to speak with your module leader (send an e-mail to get it written) and personally discuss your options. There's no point aiming for a 1st and finishing with 68 average.

Best of luck

Please can you explain to me what you mean by UEL has change their system of classification. From what i read from their handbook it says that they will take your best 100 credit(5 modules) at level 3 and the next best 100 credit(5 modules) at level 2 or 3 but some people do say that the total module they will take is 8 modules, 5 from level 3 and 3 from level 2. So please i am confused about this and i really want to know if truly it has been changed. Thanks
Reply 4
Hello pls i want to know if UEL has change their way of classification by taken 4 modules in your year 2 and 3 thanks.
I Think it is best if you check your module leader as it may very within degrees. For example, Engineering used to be as you say, (75% of your best 100 credits at level 3 + 25% of your best 100 credits at level two &/or 3) but not anymore. Sports, however still works that way.

They don't really make it very clear, even tough some changes are now in place for one year. My suggestion is, whatever they tell you, get it in writing, so they cant tell you otherwise later.
Reply 6
I am a student of university of East london, i studied software Engineering still expecting my final grade but from the manual calculation i did my Cgpa falls under 2.2 because i was crapped with my project and research with a C. I did the calculation based on how it is in the uel handbook but i heard that instead of your best 100 credit they do take 80 credit from each year so i want to be sure how true it is because if it is so i will be under 2.1 so please help me out.
Reply 7
Original post by 06sulraj
Hello, I go to UEL and I have no idea how to calculate my classification. http://www.uel.ac.uk/hsb/student/enqdesk/helpdeskfaqspage6/ It says under the headline graduate that they will take your 5 best in your first and second year. Recently they changed the system for 4 modules and I am in second year right now. I have been capped for 2 modules at 40% because I failed to pass them in my first year, so I am doing transition modules now. I want to know if there is a possibility to get a 2:1 or a first(wishful thinking).

If there is please let me know and help me figure out calculating the grades. Thanks.

Please how sure are you that they have changed the classification by taken 4 modules in each year instead of 5 modules, and does it apply to all courses.
Hi. All

I am studying @ UEL in my Final year. The University has changed the Degree Classification. Could you please please clarify to me what do they mean when they say.

The credit weighted Arithmetic mean of the Best 90 credits at level 6 *0.8%. The credit weighted Arithmetic mean of the Best 90 credits at level 5* 0.2%
Original post by Chibest78
I am a student of university of East london, i studied software Engineering still expecting my final grade but from the manual calculation i did my Cgpa falls under 2.2 because i was crapped with my project and research with a C. I did the calculation based on how it is in the uel handbook but i heard that instead of your best 100 credit they do take 80 credit from each year so i want to be sure how true it is because if it is so i will be under 2.1 so please help me out.

What is a C? Capped?

I think you have to be screwed in more than one module to end up with a 2.2.

They send an e-mail a while ago (30/04) explaining how the award classifications are done (took them a bloody year!) for transitional students. I attach the file.

Either the new or the old system can be chosen (whatever gives the highest rank)
Original post by Elastic Heart
Hi. All

I am studying @ UEL in my Final year. The University has changed the Degree Classification. Could you please please clarify to me what do they mean when they say.

The credit weighted Arithmetic mean of the Best 90 credits at level 6 *0.8%. The credit weighted Arithmetic mean of the Best 90 credits at level 5* 0.2%

You answered your own question haven't you?

That means
80% of your average for the 90 best credits at level 6 (Year 3)
+
20% of your average for the 90 best credits at level 5 (Year 2)
Reply 11
But the thing is, all year two modules are 20 credits each. How are we meant to work it out to 90 credit?
Help please.......
Original post by Ire007
But the thing is, all year two modules are 20 credits each. How are we meant to work it out to 90 credit?
Help please.......

One module counts half.
Reply 13
How? can you explain a bit more please..... Thanks.
Year 2 Results (20 credit each)= 63,62,58,58,51, 55.
90 credits (Arithmetic mean) X 0.2
= ?
Original post by cts_casemod

Best of luck

Do you mean after the 2015/16 finishes or the beginning of the September 2015?
January 2016. But best to speak with your module leader about it, they seem to base whenever a trasitional module will run or not based on demand
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ire007
How? can you explain a bit more please..... Thanks.
Year 2 Results (20 credit each)= 63,62,58,58,51, 55.
90 credits (Arithmetic mean) X 0.2
= ?

Your best 90 credits.

If they are all 20 module credits, sum your best 80 credits (63+62+58+58 = 241). Since they are all 20 module credits and you only need a further 10, sum half of you next best module. In this case (55/2) = 22.5.

Now SUM 241+22.5 = 263.5

Your 90 credit average then becomes (263.5/(90/20)) = 58.5

20% of 58.5 = ~ 12 points.

Year 3 counts more at 80% of your average. So you need to get a further 38 for a 2.2, 48 for a 2.1 or 58 points for a 1st on your 3rd year.

Regards

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending