The Student Room Group

Left a social early - feel like a pussy..

Would really appreciate some advice. Just went to my first football social of the year. Wasn't feeling very well anyway (dodgy stomach). I felt pressured into going as I missed last week's due to other commitments. Apparently it's a 'vital' part of being in the team, so figured I had to make the effort. I don't really know many of the lads as I didn't play last year, so thought this would be a good way of getting to know them. Anyway, within a couple of minutes of getting there, it was expected of me to down my pint. So I did. Felt so rough, but figured it would get easier. It didn't. Bearing in mind I was already feeling ill from before the social as well. After having to stand up and introduce myself to the 60+ guys there, I was then made to down my second pint in front of everyone. Worth noting it wasn't just me that had to do this. Anyway, after downing that second pint, I felt certain I was going to yack all over the guy next to me. Thankfully I didn't, but a couple of minutes later, we were all expected to go up to the bar and purchase two more pints. This I could not handle. I made the decision to slip out without anyone noticing. The problem now is that i've most likely gone down in everyone's estimations, even though they didn't know me that well anyway.

I thought about it long and hard at the time. Was it better to sneak off and be deemed a lightweight? Or was it better to stay and chunder in front of all my new teammates? The former seemed like the best decision at the time. I also considered just letting the captains know that I wasn't really up for it tonight. Got the impression that that wouldn't have gone down well with them though.

It's not even as if i've got anything against drinking. It's great. When meeting new people, it seems to be the easiest way of relaxing and getting to know them. It's what made my freshers week so enjoyable last year. In fact, it's what helped me settle into uni. I downed pints last year. No biggie. Tonight though, I really couldn't stomach it.

Really don't know what to do from here on in. It may seem silly, but they keep hammering on about how important it is to be there at the socials. I figured we'd all be in a room drinking and chatting. Instead, it was just one large circle, with one guy calling the shots. I really didn't feel comfortable tonight, and I worry that it may have harmed my chances of getting into the team. I know i'm just going to have to man up at the next training and take the banter. I don't mind that. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't give me any banter, and just ignore me instead.

Anyone else ever experienced anything similar? Would really dig some advice right now.
Nobody will remember or particularly care that you buggered off. What people definitely would remember is you throwing up during the first social - that would be pretty tragic.

Definitely the right move to just leave, during freshers initiations the argument "I feel ill" wouldn't garner much respect or traction.

The first social of the year is particularly ridiculous when it comes to downing pints needlessly and tends to tone down throughout the year.
You did the right thing for you. I think you'll friends will be too drunk to remember. Those that notice you were missing later that night may make a remark about not seeing you that night, but you can be like "Oh yeah, I didn't see you either, where were you?", brush it off and just change the subject. You don't need to explain anything.
You'll probably find the group leader/super chuggers had a huge meal before too, and you obvs didn't as you weren't feeling well. Loads of chips/curry + 4 pints is equiv to 2 pints on an empty stomach. I'm pretty sure anybody who really rose to the 5+ pints challenge had eaten before :smile:
Quite often I would be the first to go home because I'm bit of a lightweight and I learnt my limits quite quickly. I much preferred to be in my pj's tucked away in bed than sitting on a p!ss covered floor in a toilet that stinks of sick(eww reminders.. some females!)
Anyway, I was always still invited out and retained a healthy social life at uni!
Next time, eat a substantial meal and try to pace yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest