The Student Room Group

Want to leave uni halls but they're making me pay?

Hi guys

I've been at uni 5 days now and I really want to leave my halls and commute into uni. I like it perfectly fine here but I just know I've made a mistake, I want to live at home. I'm missing everything about home, I know it's just homesickness but I know I won't change my mind.
I only live half an hour away on the train so I really want to commute instead, it's just I've emailed my uni and they say i have to pay the years finance as I've already signed the contract. I think that's really harsh considering I've only been here for 5 days!

Does anyone have any advice for me?
Unfortunately, if you signed a contract you're stuck with it unless you want to risk getting sued, no matter how unfair it might seem. That said, it might be worth speaking to some relevant member of staff from your uni (someone responsible for accomodation or pastoral support, ideally) and explaining your situation to them to see if there's anything that can be done.
Why don't you go home at weekends? I know many people here who do. Some even do 8-10 hours of travelling over the weekend (14 for me, so it's pretty pointless leaving until term ends). At least this way you can trial it on a Monday morning and Fri afternoon. But also, consider the expenses of a train/bus pass.
Maybe try toughing it out at Halls. It's perfectly natural to be homesick, but commuting every day is not really a solution in the long term. It's five days into your university year. I'd wager pretty much everyone in your halls is feeling a little homesick. Phone home, , talk lots, and often. Skype.

There are a few practical reasons. Commuting eats into your studying time. And it could be more difficult to go on socials, and make friends at university. It's possible, but it's something to keep in mind.

If you get to a point down the line where it is really becoming an issue, maybe visit home on a weekend, or every now and then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending