The Student Room Group

controlling boyfriend

Hi if anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated :smile:

I started going out with my boyfriend 5 months ago, he had been my best friend for many years before this. I was never initially attracted to him and always thought of him as a friend, when he asked me out I thought we may as well give it a go.

Since we've been going out he has become quite obsessive and controlling, he has read my diary, went through my Facebook messages, deleted and blocked people off my Facebook, even went as far as drawing over the faces of boys (only friends) in photo's I have in my room. I feel like he has really rushed into this, he talks about how he wants to live with me and he bases his life choices around me, it feels suffocating. He says he knows he will be with me forever and wants to marry me some day, he wants to be with me all the time and it's got to the stage were I'm grateful to have a day to myself.

He always questions my whereabouts, and because we were best friends for so many years he knows a lot of things about me that maybe a boyfriend shouldn't know, such as what happened with exes, who I was dating years ago etc.. It has got to the stage where he doesn't want me to have any contact with one of my best friends because 4 years ago we had a short "thing" with each other.

I'm starting to feel really annoyed, apart from this he treats me really well but it's almost as if he cares too much. He starts arguments over things that happened years ago and that aren't even relevant to our relationship. It's become really draining and I don't know what to do now, I don't want to break up with him and risk hurting him and ruining our friendship, but I don't want to let this continue for it only to get worse. Any advice?

I'd be upset about my boyfriend hanging asking with someone he was romantically interested in too.
Bar that, the reading your Facebook and diary, if without your permission, isn't cool. You need to explain this to him.

Quick Reply