The Student Room Group

(Unreasonably?) angry with my mum

I hadn't really thought about this before but now that I have, it's bothering me so I wanted your thoughts.

My mum smoked while pregnant with me and I was born prematurely. I just got to thinking recently that what if her smoking has affected my life as it is now and, there is a lot of speculation, what if she hadn't? Would things be better for me? I get angry and think she's selfish for smoking, but I also know the power of addiction so I don't want to be too harsh on her. And I understand there's no point brooding over something that can't be changed.

I'm not a science-y person so I may be wrong about everything, if so, please feel free to say.

I'd really appreciate any comments/experiences. Thanks
Your mum should start stoptober where she stops smoking for the month of October

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some babies are born addicted to crack - you need to check your privilege.
Yes your mum was selfish but like you say you can't change the past. Everybody makes mistakes. Forgive and move on.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Some babies are born addicted to crack - you need to check your privilege.

PRSOM, full on lol'd.

OP, your mother had every right to smoke while you were in her womb as you were effectively a part of her then, and as a woman, she has every right to smoke and drink herself into oblivion.

Deal with it, it's her body.
My mum smoked when pregnant with me. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Being angry about it now is only hurting you. Let go of the anger and forgive. Its not like she ca go back and change it.
I think you'd be entirely justified in deeming her irresponsible, but it can hardly be changed at this point.

It probably isn't worth getting 'mad' at her because I don't think that would make anyone feel better.

But, if you're worried about her continued habits, maybe you should talk to her about it.
Original post by Huskaris

OP, your mother had every right to smoke while you were in her womb as you were effectively a part of her then, and as a woman, she has every right to smoke and drink herself into oblivion.

Deal with it, it's her body.

Except she owed a duty of care to her unborn child.
Original post by Alfissti
Except she owed a duty of care to her unborn child.

That's such a Victorian way of looking at things, not these days!
That's such a Victorian way of looking at things, not these days!

So you'd rather she DIDN'T take care of you? Well done! I'm sure you'll be a great parent one day.
:clap2:
Original post by Somali Kamikaze
So you'd rather she DIDN'T take care of you? Well done! I'm sure you'll be a great parent one day.
:clap2:

I'm actually pointing out that when we, as a society, give women every single right they want, we end up harming children. It's always children that don't have a voice in our society, and that's often because someone that does wants to do something that isn't in that child's best interest in order to live the life they want to lead.

In other words, we are on the same side.
I'm actually pointing out that when we, as a society, give women every single right they want, we end up harming children. It's always children that don't have a voice in our society, and that's often because someone that does wants to do something that isn't in that child's best interest in order to live the life they want to lead.

In other words, we are on the same side.

I apologise. I misread your comment and got the wrong idea.
Original post by Somali Kamikaze
I apologise. I misread your comment and got the wrong idea.

Not a problem, sarcasm never comes across well on the internet :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest