The Student Room Group

Do i need A-level maths to do medicine

I got a grade A in gcse maths, do i really need to do A level maths to do medicine?
Original post by Nahimwahid
I got a grade A in gcse maths, do i really need to do A level maths to do medicine?

No, but it helps with your chemistry A-level which is why a lot of people take it
Reply 2
Thank you. If i dont have a maths a level would that make me look weak or bad in any way? What about psychology? Im thinking about taking it instead of physics. Do you think i should drop physics for psychology.
Reply 3
No you don't.
Reply 4
Thank you. If i dont have a maths a level would that make me look weak or bad in any way? What about psychology? Im thinking about taking it instead of physics. Do you think i should drop physics for psychology.

Make sure you take Biology and Chemistry. Then pick whatever you want for the other two AS levels.

(Unless you want to apply to Cambridge, in which case it would be a very, very good idea to take either Maths or Physics as well)
Reply 5

I didn't do Maths A Level either, and chose Psychology. It shouldn't hinder you - pick the subject you are interested in so that you are most likely to get an A and meet your offer.
Not quite - chemistry required almost everywhere, biology preferred almost everywhere, a third science may be required by Cambridge depending on college. Nobody except Cambridge requires or prefers maths or physics. It would be crazy to choose maths or physics over biology.

Quick Reply

Latest