The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* Interview discussion megathread for 2015 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MLeach
Cheers :biggrin: BARTS BUDDIES! I'm English but I've lived in Belgium 90% of my life and graduated from the European School so I'm classed as European SOOO I get cheaper fees for Wales and no fees for Scotland :smile:)

Ahh cool, that worked out great :wink:
I live in Cyprus too, so same goes for me, but i did a-levels so i have a high tariff and ukcat, so hoping Barts is my very safety choice as i think i'v kind of risked the others.
Reply 41
Original post by annamartin
Ahh cool, that worked out great :wink:
I live in Cyprus too, so same goes for me, but i did a-levels so i have a high tariff and ukcat, so hoping Barts is my very safety choice as i think i'v kind of risked the others.

It's kind of unfair that I'm not assessed on European Bac marks at Barts considering it's like the 3rd/4th most relevant system to the UK but then I remember I got 762.5 B1 in the ukcat and since I'm ONLY assessed on that, I've a good chance no? :biggrin:

And Cyprus wow haha, tbh I'm reapplying this year so I chose unis where I had a very good chance of getting all of them!

Hopefully you defo get it tho in that case!
yeh you DEFINITLY do, especially with this year's lower averages!
getting a high ukcat really does open up a lot of door, and you've applied to great universities :smile:

I got 735 so I'm also happy with that :biggrin: so we may be bart buddies then :wink:

next step is the interview, that's all thats left!! did you have any last year? or have you started to prepare yet?
Reply 43
Original post by annamartin
yeh you DEFINITLY do, especially with this year's lower averages!
getting a high ukcat really does open up a lot of door, and you've applied to great universities :smile:

I got 735 so I'm also happy with that :biggrin: so we may be bart buddies then :wink:

next step is the interview, that's all thats left!! did you have any last year? or have you started to prepare yet?

This was for me I assume :biggrin: I had Birmingham last year and it seemed to go well but I didn't have much English work exp to talk about (had nothing tbh) so I lacked content and didn't get in :frown: I'm quite a good speaker though so I'm not too nervous about any interviews :smile: What about yourself?

Yeah 735 762 same thing to be honest we both did great :smile:)

Barts would be amazing :O My family are from London so it's always been a dream of mine!
yeah, i do a lot of MUN and international projects and stuff so i'm a very confident speaker, which makes me hope i'll be good at interviews i'm just nervous that i won't actually say the right things...i have a lot of work experience but not in the UK, they must be understanding of that though i hope :/

My friend just went to Barts for her first year med, she is loving it, she says the course is really awesome and interesting, it gives you just the right amount of freedom and the hospital is amazing there, i guess you can imagine what you would see in london.

I'm actually really nervous about kings as i only have 7A* GCSE's and 2A ...im just really hoping everyone with 8A*+ gcse doesn't have such a high ukcat. ahh! which is your first choice?:biggrin:
Does anyone know why the NHS didn't offer proton beam therapy to Ashya King?

Posted from TSR Mobile
who on EARTH has an interview already?!
How does the insurance and firm systems work when it comes to accepting conditional offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Original post by blue1211823
who on EARTH has an interview already?!

I doubt it's real

Original post by smilepeople
How does the insurance and firm systems work when it comes to accepting conditional offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Firm is your set uni, if you miss out on it and achieve your insurance you go there. Not vice versa.
Original post by MLeach
I doubt it's real

Firm is your set uni, if you miss out on it and achieve your insurance you go there. Not vice versa.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So it's kind of like firm is the school that gives an offer with a condition that is more difficult to meet, so once you meet that criteria you have to go there, regardless of your choice? So essentially you can accept 2 offers then, first the insurance should you wish to wait for results from the better school?
Reply 50
Just sent off my 762.5 UKCAT-UCAS application. After last year, this better be the year haha
Original post by smilepeople
Posted from TSR Mobile

So it's kind of like firm is the school that gives an offer with a condition that is more difficult to meet, so once you meet that criteria you have to go there, regardless of your choice? So essentially you can accept 2 offers then, first the insurance should you wish to wait for results from the better school?

NO!

You can to accept up to 2 offers, one firm and one insurance. YOU WAIT UNTIL YOU HAVE HEARD FROM ALL 5 OF YOUR APPLICATIONS. You don't have to do anything until then. You can then accept one as your firm. This is the one that you will go to if you get the grades and you are obliged to go to (you have a contract with them and they have a contract with you.) You can then accept another as your insurance. They will accept you if you do not get into your "Firm"
There is no point in holding an insurance offer that is higher than your firm because if you get the grades for the insurance you will have got the grades for your firm!
In Medicine all the offers will be AAA so, really insurance is a bit of a waste. However I suppose if you get AAB and your firm reject you your insurance might take you. Pretty unlikely though.
Original post by russellwallace
NO!

You can to accept up to 2 offers, one firm and one insurance. YOU WAIT UNTIL YOU HAVE HEARD FROM ALL 5 OF YOUR APPLICATIONS. You don't have to do anything until then. You can then accept one as your firm. This is the one that you will go to if you get the grades and you are obliged to go to (you have a contract with them and they have a contract with you.) You can then accept another as your insurance. They will accept you if you do not get into your "Firm"
There is no point in holding an insurance offer that is higher than your firm because if you get the grades for the insurance you will have got the grades for your firm!
In Medicine all the offers will be AAA so, really insurance is a bit of a waste. However I suppose if you get AAB and your firm reject you your insurance might take you. Pretty unlikely though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah it is all clear now, thanks alot, appreciate it :smile: !!
Original post by Saywhatyoumean
Does anyone know why the NHS didn't offer proton beam therapy to Ashya King?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably because the Clatterbridge Unit only can do eyes and the UCHC unit is only in the process of development. Also, since the tumour is a medulloblastoma, and may be spreading intrathecally, it is by no means certain that this is the correct modality anyway. But of course this latter point has been lost in all the hyperbole and angst :s-smilie:
Reply 54
Hi , Anyone would like to discuss Interview q & do mock on Skype. Please reply. Half term might be a good time. Preparing for BMAT now. I have applied to Birmingham imperial Cardiff Southampton . Thanks
Sounds like a great idea. I would be interested in this, but after half term seems like a more convenient time.
Reply 56
Today is the big day! Good luck to anyone still deciding which unis to apply to! Hopefully everyone gets what they want!
Original post by MLeach
Today is the big day! Good luck to anyone still deciding which unis to apply to! Hopefully everyone gets what they want!

It's crazy how real it's all become

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Original post by Saywhatyoumean

It's crazy how real it's all become

Posted from TSR Mobile

As I've already done this all before this time isn't that crazy but I know how you feel! :biggrin:
Reply 59
SUB

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending