The Student Room Group

Bad Employers

Hey I'm really frustrated as it seems there is nowhere you can go to report bad employers. I was working for an Accounting firm until recently, and when I phoned ACAS I was told there was nothing I could do as I worked there less then 2 years.

Now this firm has loads of propaganda out there about being accredited, and approved training providers, and relocation packages. So it seems like a dream job to everyone... What they don't tell you is that they fire people left right and centre, for stupid reasons. They encourage a culture of telling tales and "oneupmanship" - which to me is not a professional environment. Students like myself have no help towards exams, unless you fail (which everyone has done), and when you fail it's blamed in the amount of hours you work - yet they don't staff your team fully because they're too busy firing everyone!

I know it sounds like I have a bee in my bonnet for being fired, but my colleagues have also been fired or pressured into leaving, when one complained, she was told to find a new job!! I have been fortunate enough to find work with one of the big 4, so I have done well for being fired, but my friends have not.

Is there nowhere these guys can be reported to? I feel like I owe it to the graduates they are trying to sign up, who will have their life and soul drained for them before being fired over a silly reason (and told to pay back study/relocation costs!)
Welcome to the world of work. There is a great blog called "Ask a manger" I suggest you read - you may soon realise that scenarios like this are very normal.
Reply 2
Original post by manik_girl
Welcome to the world of work. There is a great blog called "Ask a manger" I suggest you read - you may soon realise that scenarios like this are very normal.

Hey I get that not all places are ideal, I've been working for years. I just think taking people on to fire them after they have passed their probation and then making them pay back everything you promised them is a bit out of order.

I also fail to see how they can be accredited as a training provider when they do nothing to help you, not even relevant work experience

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending