The Student Room Group

Unable to afford deposit AND first term payment for accommodation?

My situation as it currently stands is that my accommodation (Fiveways House, Wolverhampton) would like a £250 Deposit and also £304 for the first term paid prior to checking in, what would be my best option about approaching this situation? I have an approved overdraft for £400 and I am happy to cut into that for 10 days or so until my student finance arrives

Thanks in advance
Can your parents help out?
Reply 2
Original post by OU Student
Can your parents help out?

Hi, sorry I completely forgot to mention I can receive no funding from my parents or relatives as I am not from a wealthy background
You need to talk to whoever owns the accommodation. I'm sure you're not the only person in this situation.
Original post by LordJimmy
My situation as it currently stands is that my accommodation (Fiveways House, Wolverhampton) would like a £250 Deposit and also £304 for the first term paid prior to checking in, what would be my best option about approaching this situation? I have an approved overdraft for £400 and I am happy to cut into that for 10 days or so until my student finance arrives

Thanks in advance

Ok, brace yourself, radical suggestion coming up.

Ring them and speak to them about it.

If you can show them that you are due a payment from student finance soon, which you will be able to as you will have received the letter with your payment dates on it by now, then chances are that they would be willing to negotiate, to accept just the deposit now and the other £304 paid when you receive your student finance.

These places aren't all out to screw you over, at the end of the day they don't want to terminate your contract or kick you out because then it leaves them with an empty room that they have to fill. As long as you can show that you will be able to pay then they'll generally negotiate.

Also, how the hell do you expect people on the internet who have never dealt with your landlord, have no idea of their procedures and policies, and have zero relevant information, to be able to give you anything more than vague speculation?
Original post by mackemforever
Ok, brace yourself, radical suggestion coming up.

Ring them and speak to them about it.

If you can show them that you are due a payment from student finance soon, which you will be able to as you will have received the letter with your payment dates on it by now, then chances are that they would be willing to negotiate, to accept just the deposit now and the other £304 paid when you receive your student finance.

If it's halls, the uni would be aware of this. Usually, they give you a week or two to pay the installment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending