The Student Room Group

Can I transfer from a second year to a top-up?

Hi,

I'm a mature student just started a repeat second year of a BA course. I had previously done a two year foundation degree at another college. I was very unhappy last year and much preferred my previous uni, I was also struggling on health grounds.

Towards the end of the last academic year I phoned your office to ask for some advice as to what I could do in the next year (2014/15). I told your adviser about my health and other problems and that I wanted to go back to my original college to complete my degree with a top up course onto which I had already been accepted prior to my going to my current uni. Your adviser said I could just go onto the top up course in 2014-15 and get the same level of funding.

So I thought fine, no need to worry so I missed a few of the assessment deadlines and for health reasons couldn't do all the modules. I thought no problem as Im going to another college next year anyway to complete my degree. So later in the year after having missed these vital deadlines, just to check, I rang your office again and was told - no, the previous advice was wrong, and I would get far less funding because a top up course counts as a new course and because of my age I wouldnt get the maintenance loan - a reduction of about £4,000. I was also advised, however, that I could transfer onto the top up course later in 2014/15 if I really didn't want to stick at my current uni. So for financial reasons Ive had to stay at my current Uni and repeat a second year because I didn't complete all the modules, but with the hope that I could transfer later in the year, albeit on lower funding if I really couldn't stand it any longer.

So, this I did. Now I phone up again today, and again I'm told a different story. I was told, now that I have already started on the repeat second year of my current BA course, I could not transfer to the top up degree at my original college because it counts as a new application, (even though the course content is identical to my original foundation, I would stay on the lower pre 2012 fee structure, and have been in continuous education since 2011!). They told me the only thing I could do now was to stay and complete my current repeat second year, send in medical evidence about my health problems which lead to my repeating the second year, and hope that you would grant me financial support for 2015/16 on exceptional health grounds to either complete the third year of the degree at my current uni, or the top-up at my old college.

Is this advice correct? I'm now totally confused about what my correct course of action should be here?

Yours,

Patrick
Hello Patrick.

I cannot view your account details but from what I understand you have a foundation degree which had taken you 2 years to complete. You then transferred on to the 2nd year of a 3 year degree. You have repeated this year. And are now looking to transfer but on to the top up year after you complete this 2nd year. And you are now 60 years of age or over.

If the above information is correct. I regret to inform you that there would be no funding available this is due to us only being able to provide maintenance grants and tuition fees to anyone who is 60 or above on the first day of the academic year. And ask you started a degree course after your foundation we cannot assess you top up student only a new transfer. This means we do the standard previous study calculation. Which means your top up course is 1 year plus you get an extra year take away your previous study. So your is 1 + 1 - 3 + -1. This means we would block your funding. Which means you would not be paid any grants of fees. So no funding available. The only way to get funding is to do the 3rd and final year of a degree course not a top up. Thanks
Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Hello Patrick.

I cannot view your account details but from what I understand you have a foundation degree which had taken you 2 years to complete. You then transferred on to the 2nd year of a 3 year degree. You have repeated this year. And are now looking to transfer but on to the top up year after you complete this 2nd year. And you are now 60 years of age or over.

If the above information is correct. I regret to inform you that there would be no funding available this is due to us only being able to provide maintenance grants and tuition fees to anyone who is 60 or above on the first day of the academic year. And ask you started a degree course after your foundation we cannot assess you top up student only a new transfer. This means we do the standard previous study calculation. Which means your top up course is 1 year plus you get an extra year take away your previous study. So your is 1 + 1 - 3 + -1. This means we would block your funding. Which means you would not be paid any grants of fees. So no funding available. The only way to get funding is to do the 3rd and final year of a degree course not a top up. Thanks

Sorry, maybe I didnt make myself very clear, I want to do the top up this year (2014/15) instead of doing a repeated second year. I have been advised by at least two of your advisors within the last couple of days that I can do this - can you confirm that this is correct?

As I have had to start the repeat second year because your staff had (erroneously?) told me that I would not get any funding to do a top up in 2014/15, could I apply for funding for the top up from a date after the beginning of the course, even though I would have to fill in a new PN1 form. Your staff have told me today I can do this also - is this correct too?
Hello PatrickOkeefe,

We would need access to you account in order to give you accurate information, If you have already had this confirmed by one of our staff who had full access to your account then I would say that the information they have given you is correct. Should you want to discuss this any further then please call us on 0300 100 0607.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending