The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Economics

I'm thinking about applying to read Economics at UCL, however I am very concerned about my A Level choices. I am currently studying Maths, Physics, History and Business Studies, with A*A*A*A* predicted. Unfortunately my school could not offer Economics or Further Mathematics.
I was considering dropping Business Studies to focus on my other subjects and develop my independent economic learning. Given the disadvantage of not studying further maths, should I continue four subjects to have a realistic chance of receiving an offer.
Reply 1
Original post by Daniel-97
I'm thinking about applying to read Economics at UCL, however I am very concerned about my A Level choices. I am currently studying Maths, Physics, History and Business Studies, with A*A*A*A* predicted. Unfortunately my school could not offer Economics or Further Mathematics.
I was considering dropping Business Studies to focus on my other subjects and develop my independent economic learning. Given the disadvantage of not studying further maths, should I continue four subjects to have a realistic chance of receiving an offer.

Well, they ask for A*AA with the A* being in Maths and an A in Economics if taken. Don't sweat over it as you exceed the requirements and if they actually wanted economics, they would require it.

I doubt doing Business Studies would provide any significant advantage to be honest, but more is better regardless. If you feel you can manage the workload, go ahead and take all four!
(edited 9 years ago)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
omg with those grades they'll definitely let u in lol
Reply 3
Original post by CocoLoco521
omg with those grades they'll definitely let u in lol

Nothing is "definite". UCL, and especially for Economics, is very competitive and there will probably be many applicants with similar grades.
Reply 4
Original post by *Stefan*
Well, they ask for A*AA with the A* being in Maths and an A in Economics if taken. Don't sweat over it as you exceed the requirements and if they actually wanted economics, they would require it.

I doubt doing Business Studies would provide any significant advantage to be honest, but more is better regardless. If you feel you can manage the workload, go ahead and take all four!

Hi Stefan, thanks very much for your help. Lately, I've been considering dropping Business Studies to take an AS in Further Maths. Do you think that this would be a better option? I was unsure how much emphasis was placed on FM, compared to places such as the LSE.
Reply 5
Hi Stefan, thanks very much for your help. Lately, I've been considering dropping Business Studies to take an AS in Further Maths. Do you think that this would be a better option? I was unsure how much emphasis was placed on FM, compared to places such as the LSE.

They don't mention it at all, but if I had to guess I'd certainly say F.Maths AS>Business Studies A2. Entry requirements aside, F. Maths will be of more use at the degree itself than Business Studies would. It will also help you with the transition.

As such, I'd suggest Further Maths, but only if you feel you can handle it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Absolutely 100% if possible! This would help not only with improving your chances, but also with the economics degree itself as it is very mathsy!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending