The Student Room Group

name of qualification for cambridge degree

i'm filling in my loan application form at the moment and am stumped by a question that i perhaps really ought to know the answer to: what is the name of the qualification that i will gain at the end of my course? is it different for cambridge- BA Cantab or similar? as far as i know i am studying english at undergraduate level but they need to know if it is a BA or an MPhil or whatever. i have no idea and my family find this most amusing... help!
Reply 1
UndiscoverdSelf
i'm filling in my loan application form at the moment and am stumped by a question that i perhaps really ought to know the answer to: what is the name of the qualification that i will gain at the end of my course? is it different for cambridge- BA Cantab or similar? as far as i know i am studying english at undergraduate level but they need to know if it is a BA or an MPhil or whatever. i have no idea and my family find this most amusing... help!

It's just a BA isn't it? I don't think there's any need to write Cantab after it.
Reply 2
Just use BA for English.
Reply 3
I thought we had to write BA(hons). I'm sure I read it somewhere on the www.careers.cam.ac.uk (?) website telling you how to apply for jobs.
Reply 4
blissy
I thought we had to write BA(hons). I'm sure I read it somewhere on the www.careers.cam.ac.uk (?) website telling you how to apply for jobs.

Seems a bit unnecessary, though. Would have thought virtually all degrees are Hons.
Reply 5
d750
Seems a bit unnecessary, though. Would have thought virtually all degrees are Hons.

Well I'm pretty sure that's what the guidance from the cambridge uni careers service detailed. :smile:
Reply 6
blissy
Well I'm pretty sure that's what the guidance from the cambridge uni careers service detailed. :smile:

Stop being difficult blissy :tongue: It's only a loan app.
Reply 7
shiny
Stop being difficult blissy :tongue: It's only a loan app.

Oh I mis-read it as job application! LOL. I wasn't being difficult, I was trying to be accurate. :frown:
Reply 8
blissy

you can only use (hons) if you get a 2:2 or above, else it's just a BA, BSc, etc.....
Reply 9
Fluffy
you can only use (hons) if you get a 2:2 or above, else it's just a BA, BSc, etc.....

I don't think that's so. a 'third' is still third class honours. Its onlyif you miss that and get a 'pass' that you can't use (Hons)
Reply 10
OldMan
I don't think that's so. a 'third' is still third class honours. Its onlyif you miss that and get a 'pass' that you can't use (Hons)

Really? When we graduated, we had a group meeting first when all the ins and outs were explained to us before the graduation ceromony... we were told that you could only use (hons) if you have a 2:2 or above! Does it vary from uni to uni?
thanks everyone! :smile:
No, I think you were misinformed, it's a national system. When we talk about first, second and third class, we are referring to honours degrees, and you can put (hons) after the title with any such class. If you manage to fall below third class but still pass, you have a pass degree rather than an honours degree and cannot put (hons). For my subject in Oxford, we are not allowed to "read for a pass degree" and fail completely if we miss a third.
Reply 13
ThePants999
No, I think you were misinformed, it's a national system. When we talk about first, second and third class, we are referring to honours degrees, and you can put (hons) after the title with any such class. If you manage to fall below third class but still pass, you have a pass degree rather than an honours degree and cannot put (hons). For my subject in Oxford, we are not allowed to "read for a pass degree" and fail completely if we miss a third.

In my degree you failed if you didn't get at least a 3rd too. It's how it should be!

Latest

Trending

Trending