The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Finance query- tuition fees

Basically I had to send in a Change of Circumstances form a few days after results day because I didn't get the grades for my firm and got into Exeter, which was my insurance, instead. I've spoken to the SLC about it a few times and they said their system has updated. However, I got my payment schedule letter, which it says to take to registration, on Friday and it still says Cambridge, which was my firm, under the tuition fee loan section. I phoned and was told this doesn't matter because it's their system they go on and that now says Exeter, but what should I do? Will it be OK to take my letter to Exeter and explain what happened when I register or do I need to email them or something in advance? Also, I asked for my application to be income assessed, but for some reason it's been done as non income assessed, so at the moment I'm getting much less money than I'm actually entitled to :mad: I've spoken to various people about this as well and apparently someone will phone me at some stage to discuss it, but is there any way I can get a bursary from Exeter or at least enquire about getting one when the assessment is finished? My household income for last year was £24,045 and the limit is something like £38,000 so I'm definitely entitled. The bursary estimator on their website said I should get £350.
Reply 1
My sister had exactly the same problem (the bit about wrong name on form) this year too. I'm afraid im not that sure what she has done to solve it, but thought u might like to know other ppl are teh same.

With the bursary, didn't u have to apply before April?
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Niyati
My sister had exactly the same problem (the bit about wrong name on form) this year too. I'm afraid im not that sure what she has done to solve it, but thought u might like to know other ppl are teh same.

With the bursary, didn't u have to apply before April?

OK thanks, glad it's not just me! The deadline was in April, but I sent an email asking if I could still apply because it was my insurance choice and I was told I could do so after registration, but I'm not sure what will happen now because my loan application was done as non income assessed.
Reply 3
Eek sounds like you've had a bad time of it. Sorry I can't help, but good luck.
Reply 4
kellywood_5
The bursary estimator on their website said I should get £350.

The bursary estimator told me I would get £300. No prizes for guessing how much I was awarded. :rolleyes:
Reply 5
you got a change of circumstance form to fill in? i rang my LEA (exeter's my insurance too) and they jsut told me to send them a letter telling them. i've also e-mailed them, and spent an hour trying to ring them today because my loan letter says durham still...basically, they suck, and exeter think i owe them £3000 in tuition fees...so so screwed!
Reply 6
Elliray
you got a change of circumstance form to fill in? i rang my LEA (exeter's my insurance too) and they jsut told me to send them a letter telling them. i've also e-mailed them, and spent an hour trying to ring them today because my loan letter says durham still...basically, they suck, and exeter think i owe them £3000 in tuition fees...so so screwed!

Have you tried phoning the Student Loans Company? That's what I did (several times lol) after I got my loan letter and they said it was fine because they've got Exeter recorded in their system now, so although the letter has the incorrect details, it's the information on their computers that counts. I'll probably take my incorrect letter with me to Exeter and just explain to someone what happened. They could always phone up and check if they wanted, so hopefully it won't be a problem. Did your LEA tell the SLC about the change? My application was entirely dealt with by the SLC rather than my LEA because I live in one of the pilot areas, so I just printed the Change of Circumstances form (CO1, I think it's called) from www.studentsupportdirect.co.uk and sent it to them, but you'd need to send it to your LEA. The letter should have been enough though. An easy way to check, using the same website, is to log in with your ART ID, password and secret answer and see what comes up on the first page. If it now says Exeter, it's been updated. If it still says Durham, it hasn't.
Reply 7
Update: Just checked the Student Finance Direct website and it now says Exeter next to tuition fees in the payment section :biggrin:: I think they're also sending me a new letter with the correct details on it. Phew, glad that's all sorted out. Now I just need to try and get them to income assess my application so I get more money! :rolleyes:
Reply 8
I'm quite interested in bursaries as well, as my family aren't, shall we say, the most extravagent, and I won't be getting much financial support from them- but since I got my offer extremely late (late May), I wasn't able to apply. I doubt either of us will be entitled to anywhere near the full amount if we apply late, but hopefully there'll be something they can help us with.
Reply 9
well, my LEA finally seem to have got it sorted, but exeter still think i owe them the £3000...did anyone else have this problem when registering? i don't know whether to click the 'i agree' button on the srs thing under the 'tuition fee notification', because then do i agree that i pay them the money? and if i don't click the button, i can't register...meh

(yes, i'm panicking just a little bit...*takes deep breaths*!)
Reply 10
Elliray
well, my LEA finally seem to have got it sorted, but exeter still think i owe them the £3000...did anyone else have this problem when registering? i don't know whether to click the 'i agree' button on the srs thing under the 'tuition fee notification', because then do i agree that i pay them the money? and if i don't click the button, i can't register...meh

(yes, i'm panicking just a little bit...*takes deep breaths*!)

The same thing happened to me, although I think it was because the SLC still had Cambridge down on their details. I clicked 'I agree' anyway and it just said I have to give them my financial notification letter and payment schedule letter within 10 days, so I don't know whether that means I have to give it to someone when I arrive on Sunday or what. I'm sure it'll be the same for you though, so don't worry.

Latest

Trending

Trending