The Student Room Group

Am I a Sociopath?

Before you tell me that because of the fact I think I'm a sociopath I'm not a sociopath, read the whole post please.

Here are my reasons for why I think I could be a sociopath:

Yes, I'm wondering if I'm a sociopath. However, whether I am or am not does not bother me. I'm just curious to see what other people think. I just sort of think, "oh hey. I might be a sociopath. That's pretty cool."

Most of the time I don't feel much emotion. I pretend that I do in order to fit in. in fact, every day is a chore, and I can never comfort people very well.

I find it difficult to keep a relationship because I just get bored of them. It's a thrill to chase the person, but as soon as I get into a relationship the thrill wears off and I dump them just a few weeks later.

I am a very sexually-inclined person. Whilst I am still a virgin, I often fantasise of having meaningless sex with people I don't or barely know. I flirt at school with random people because of that purpose, too.

I think that morals are nothing but a social construct. I have no qualms with many immoral stories that I read about on the internet.

I doubt I would have any problems killing somebody if I had to. I would probably feel bad for a few hours afterwards but then I would just carry on with my life.

And finally, I have watched a man being murdered on a video before, filmed by the Dnepropetrovsk maniacs. I felt virtually no empathy. I just felt distant and thanked God that I wasn't the victim. I did, however, feel bad for the victim for only a few minutes, but, as much as I dislike to admit it, I almost admired the murderers for having the balls to film it. Almost.

So what do you think? Would you class me as a sociopath, a psychopath? Or perhaps I'm simply a hypochondriac. I don't know. Any input is much appreciated, I'm sure.
You would be if you were manipulative, remorseless and a really good pretender
(edited 9 years ago)

Fascinating. However, I was under the impression that the diagnosis "Anti-social Personality Disorder" could be used interchangeably with sociopathy. Are they different?
This is an interesting question. I've always wondered about sociopathy.

For instance if one can feel empathy for another person but can turn that empathy off at will does that mean that the empathy is simply not real or can anyone switch off their emotions? For instance if something bad happened to someone you knew you might feel a bit of empathy but if that person screwed you over in someway you might switch to wanting revenge and getting it in any way possible. The original event completely forgotten and no quarter given based on how previous negative events could effect the persons actions.

What if you simply don't care about other people? I've known several family members who have died and never really felt anything. In fact I felt awkward because I felt like I couldn't share in the grief that everyone else felt.

Anyway sorry to hijack the post but it is an interesting question. Sociopathy is quite an interesting subject in its self.
Reply 5
You seem to be getting sociopathy confused with psychopathy.

But no, I don't believe you are a psychopath or sociopath although you do show some traits of it.
Original post by Maestus
You seem to be getting sociopathy confused with psychopathy.

But no, I don't believe you are a psychopath or sociopath although you do show some traits of it.

Hmm. Then I suppose I'd better read up on the two terms. Conflicting definitions seem to appear all over the web.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest