The Student Room Group

What makes someone want to become a dentist?

Just wondering what the reasons are that someone might want to become a dentist. :confused:

Scroll to see replies

money
£££££££
Reply 3
The money
I have a friend who's a dentist and he's trying to persuade me to be one. He graduated 3 years ago and earns £60 an hour, over £130,000 a year.
Selfish reason I know

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dentists are minted :colondollar:
Money + wanting to help people (rewarding), meet people, interact with people e.t.c. Work for a business or have your own business. NHS and or private :smile:
Dentists have a high suicide rate. I'd kill myself too if my "career" was made up of looking down people's mouths.

I'd also be embarrassed to let other people know that I was a dentist. There's something quite creepy about the profession. Like why not be a doctor?

You never hear of someone asking for a dentist in a medical emergency, do you? :tongue:
From my mum's perspective, could be out of an interest in oral hygiene. She's a dental nurse, not a dentist, but only due to being unable to afford the education and time required (she has little mouths to feed) and needs to be in paid work keeping money coming in. She said if she couldn't be a dentist she would be a hygienist. It makes sense going by her personality and a liking for cleanliness and she's not squeamish at all. She likes her job even though it doesn't pay brilliantly and finds the dental work by the dentist very fascinating. She just doesn't like her particular workplace and I hope she can find a better one.
Original post by Prince Kael'thas
Like why not be a doctor?

Different required qualifications, perhaps not as much opportunity for self-employment, potentially longer/more erratic hours, prefer teeth to other bits, etc.
Reply 9
Original post by Mini-Me
The money
I have a friend who's a dentist and he's trying to persuade me to be one. He graduated 3 years ago and earns £60 an hour, over £130,000 a year.
Selfish reason I know

Posted from TSR Mobile

£60 an hour?! :eek:
Original post by Prince Kael'thas
Dentists have a high suicide rate. I'd kill myself too if my "career" was made up of looking down people's mouths.

I'd also be embarrassed to let other people know that I was a dentist. There's something quite creepy about the profession. Like why not be a doctor?

You never hear of someone asking for a dentist in a medical emergency, do you? :tongue:

I'd kill myself if my account surrounded a video game.

I mean why not just be like normal people?

:yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dem tools.

Dat mouf.
Or someone really likes the sitcom My Family? :s-smilie:
I wanted to be a dentist because of the money but because I am retaking my A levels I have changed my mind and am going to hopeful do NatSci in uni 2016 entry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mini-Me
The money
Selfish reason I know

Posted from TSR Mobile

How much of that makes it into his bank every year?

He sounds like the exception...
My brother did it for the money
Original post by mrocd2014
Just wondering what the reasons are that someone might want to become a dentist. :confused:

Money.

And I guess it's people who had a good time with biology in school in particular, thus went onto further education along that path related to biology and then from choices they had they chose to get into dentistry cuz it can pay quite well be a dentist.:biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by McMicheal
Money.

And I guess it's people who had a good time with biology in school in particular, thus went onto further education along that path related to biology and then from choices they had they chose to get into dentistry cuz it can pay quite well be a dentist.:biggrin:

Good point.
Wow, it appears the public has a very cynical view on my people ;_; Not everyone does it for the money, and fyi thanks to the NHS reforms dentists don't even make that much anymore....

I wanted to be a dentist because it's a career when I'm constantly working with people (dental team & patients) and I can use my manual dexterity a lot. I'm a kinetic learner and I love putting my hands to use :3

It also has flexible hours so I can afford to spend a lot of time with my family~

Quick Reply

Latest