The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick vs. Surrey

Hey,

I am so confused between what uni is better
can someone please tell me the pros and cons about them.
So like:
Cost of living there
Lectures and teaching
Social life
People and Atmosphere
etc.

Thank You :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Warwick by far. It's one of the top ten Universities not to mention it's one of the top ten in the Russell Group. Job prospects are amazing too. Location is lovely and Warwick students are known for their social life. The lectures are apparently amazing and the tutorials are so helpful. Every department has the best professors. Surrey is a good uni nonetheless, however, right now, Warwick is way above in the league tables.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by ShafTJB
Warwick by far. It's one of the top ten Universities not to mention it's one of the top ten in the Russell Group. Job prospects are amazing too. Location is lovely and Warwick students are known for their social life. The lectures are apparently amazing and the tutorials are so helpful. Every department has the best professors. Surrey is a good uni nonetheless, however, right now, Warwick is way above in the league tables.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah warwick was voted the best uni of 2015!
thank you so much :smile:
what uni are/have you studied at?
Reply 3
Personally, I had offers from both, and chose Surrey. It is where I thought I would be happy. It has fantastic facilities, Guildford is a lovely town and very safe. I liked the campus, the people, the accommodation (which is actually quite reasonable), the course is fantastic, and it has exceedingly high employment and satisfaction rates. It actually outranks Warwick in the guardian university rankings, and although is slightly behind in the complete university guide I think that there is so much more to a university than rankings. For me, it was the course, the university, the location, the atmosphere, and the fact that I have a very good chance of getting a good job as a result of coming here. Ultimately, they are both fantastic universities, and I would highly recommend visiting both, because at the end of the day, you are going to do better wherever you are happy, and it really does come down to personal preference. Also, check out your course on unistats, it's a really good website where you can compare things like satisfaction rates and average starting salaries from different universities. Best of luck wherever you decide to go. :smile:
Reply 4
IMO, it has to be Warwick. It is above Surrey in the league tables, has the greater reputation, the only multi-faculty institution aside from the universities of Oxford and Cambridge to have never been ranked outside of the top and is the top target for graduate employers. The lecturers and the tutorial sessions are very helpful. Surrey is a good university, but Warwick is the more all round university. I strongly advise you to visit both unversities before making a decision.
The graduate prospects are great and many of the undergrads go off to do their postgraduate studies at Oxbridge, vice versa. It is a very highly ranked institute and in comparison to Surrey,
It outshines in many aspects. I also agree that you should visit both Unis as Surrey is also a respected institution.
Original post by HelpMePlease17
yeah warwick was voted the best uni of 2015!
thank you so much :smile:
what uni are/have you studied at?

I have many friends at Warwick studying Maths, Physics and Engineering so every time I go to visit, it never fails to impress me! Im applying for Cambridge, Warwick, Imperial, UCL and Queen Mary. And yourself?
Original post by ShafTJB
I have many friends at Warwick studying Maths, Physics and Engineering so every time I go to visit, it never fails to impress me! Im applying for Cambridge, Warwick, Imperial, UCL and Queen Mary. And yourself?

im applying for Warwick, Queen Marys, KCL, Surrey and maybe either bham or royal holloway! :smile:
what course are you applying for?
im applying for Warwick, Queen Marys, KCL, Surrey and maybe either bham or royal holloway! :smile:
what course are you applying for?

Im applying for engineering, and yourself?
Reply 9
Hey,

I am so confused between what uni is better
can someone please tell me the pros and cons about them.
So like:
Cost of living there
Lectures and teaching
Social life
People and Atmosphere
etc.

Thank You :smile:

Hi, this is the exact same problem that im having! Warwick vs Surrey.

For me, my heart was set on warwick until i saw surrey.

Personally, the location of warwick and the feel of warwick is sortve villagey like. It's not really to busy which i love and it's cosy. But Surrey is just near london and Woking and it's in Guildford, there's loads more to do, which means a better social life etc.

Living in Surrey i found, the accomodation is cheaper than warwicks. For the ensuite anyway, which is what im going for and actually, the tesco is just 5 minutes walk from the university itself, where as with warwick you have to get a bus into coventry. In terms of accomodation, the accomodation i saw at warwick is far better than surreys purely because warwicks is newer, but surrey are in the process of making new accomodation which will open in September 2015.

In terms of the teaching, i attended the Law and Languages talks at Surrey and Just the Law talk at Warwick. I feel surrey give more support as they actually visit you on your year abroad to find out how you're getting on, they help you set it up so you definitely do something for that year. The classes are smaller so you get more contact hours and they wednesdays off, so you can catch up on work or do societies or just hang out or visit a teacher etc etc. Which i thought was really great.

Warwick however, also have great teaching and lecturing and facilities, which is to be expected since they're like in the top 10, however i didnt feel like they had the same amount of support that surrey offered you. Like surrey gives you a personal tutor, who sortve "checks up" on you, like if your grades are dropping or you havent been attending lectures, they just check to see you're allright. Warwick doesnt seem so personal like that and apparently at Surrey everyone knows everyone. All the students i talked to said it was really friendly there and everyone felt safe. Also to be considered, student satisfaction at surrey is 91% whereas Warwick's is 76%.

All in all i think my heart is pretty much set on surrey now, but there's still the factor that Warwick, despite the fact that it's dropping in the league tables for law, it's still a good university and it's name alone will get you good employability opportunities and for me, the Law course at warwick is way more creative like they have modules other Law schools i.e Surrey's doesn't offer me, such as doing a language as a part of my degree.

What is your opinion on them both?
Reply 10
Original post by Lulu24

Personally, the location of warwick and the feel of warwick is sortve villagey like. It's not really to busy which i love and it's cosy. But Surrey is just near london and Woking and it's in Guildford, there's loads more to do, which means a better social life etc.

Living in Surrey i found, the accomodation is cheaper than warwicks. For the ensuite anyway, which is what im going for and actually, the tesco is just 5 minutes walk from the university itself, where as with warwick you have to get a bus into coventry. In terms of accomodation, the accomodation i saw at warwick is far better than surreys purely because warwicks is newer, but surrey are in the process of making new accomodation which will open in September 2015.

In terms of the teaching, i attended the Law and Languages talks at Surrey and Just the Law talk at Warwick. I feel surrey give more support as they actually visit you on your year abroad to find out how you're getting on, they help you set it up so you definitely do something for that year. The classes are smaller so you get more contact hours and they wednesdays off, so you can catch up on work or do societies or just hang out or visit a teacher etc etc. Which i thought was really great.

Warwick however, also have great teaching and lecturing and facilities, which is to be expected since they're like in the top 10, however i didnt feel like they had the same amount of support that surrey offered you. Like surrey gives you a personal tutor, who sortve "checks up" on you, like if your grades are dropping or you havent been attending lectures, they just check to see you're allright. Warwick doesnt seem so personal like that and apparently at Surrey everyone knows everyone. All the students i talked to said it was really friendly there and everyone felt safe. Also to be considered, student satisfaction at surrey is 91% whereas Warwick's is 76%.

All in all i think my heart is pretty much set on surrey now, but there's still the factor that Warwick, despite the fact that it's dropping in the league tables for law, it's still a good university and it's name alone will get you good employability opportunities and for me, the Law course at warwick is way more creative like they have modules other Law schools i.e Surrey's doesn't offer me, such as doing a language as a part of my degree.

There's a big Tesco store about 5 mins walk from Warwick campus - It's part of the cannon park shopping centre, near the maths department. Also, as far as I know, all students are assigned a personal tutor during their time at Warwick (atleast that was the case when I was there) :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Bhups
There's a big Tesco store about 5 mins walk from Warwick campus - It's part of the cannon park shopping centre, near the maths department. Also, as far as I know, all students are assigned a personal tutor during their time at Warwick (atleast that was the case when I was there) :smile:

I see! Well that is very handy to know as all i was aware of was that little co-op and then conventry market. Please do tell more, how did you find warwick? Good points and bad points?

One thing im more concerned about is the diversity, Im black and on the open day i was the only black person i saw in the entire queue as i had to walk down it. I still then didnt see any others walking around the UNI. this might not be something you think about but it really worries me, How is warwick for diversity?
Warwick , has the largest lol society XD
Reply 13
Original post by Lulu24
I see! Well that is very handy to know as all i was aware of was that little co-op and then conventry market. Please do tell more, how did you find warwick? Good points and bad points?

One thing im more concerned about is the diversity, Im black and on the open day i was the only black person i saw in the entire queue as i had to walk down it. I still then didnt see any others walking around the UNI. this might not be something you think about but it really worries me, How is warwick for diversity?

I really enjoyed my time at Warwick, the campus has an awesome community vibe and Warwick as a university seems very committed to securing its position as a top university in the long term (there’s a lot of investment in new facilities, teaching resources and international partnerships...etc).

As for diversity, I always considered Warwick as quite international and diverse (there’s plenty of people there of all different colours and backgrounds). I'm Indian myself and I lived on campus for two years (first and final years) and Leamington Spa for two years and didn't experience any discrimination or anything like that (in fact Leamington Spa was actually one of the nicest places I ever lived in haha).
Went to the open day today, Warwick
actually blew me away, it's so nice!
Reply 15
Original post by Bhups
I really enjoyed my time at Warwick, the campus has an awesome community vibe and Warwick as a university seems very committed to securing its position as a top university in the long term (there’s a lot of investment in new facilities, teaching resources and international partnerships...etc).

As for diversity, I always considered Warwick as quite international and diverse (there’s plenty of people there of all different colours and backgrounds). I'm Indian myself and I lived on campus for two years (first and final years) and Leamington Spa for two years and didn't experience any discrimination or anything like that (in fact Leamington Spa was actually one of the nicest places I ever lived in haha).

Okay, I believe you. What did you study?
Reply 16
Original post by Lulu24
Okay, I believe you. What did you study?

I did an MChem in chemistry - just graduated this year :smile:
Original post by Bhups

im so torn now. I love the feel of both universities. Its comforting to know that Warwick is a diverse place lol. Are there any bad points about Warwick? I want to be involved in the social life but like not go clubbing and drink so would that be a problem or is everyone chilled out?

Original post by Lulu24

i went to surrey and just fell in love with it. the location is beautiful and its so close to london so its great for transport links and I live in london so it would be great for travelling home once in a while. The lecture halls are amazing and the people were so nice.

then i went to see warwick and fell in love with that too. i love that its in a rural area but the transport link is kinda a problem because its pretty much in the middle of nowhere... but i love that too. ugh this is so hard. Warwick was much more diverse than surrey and had a nice atmosphere too. It has literally everything you need on campus which is great and they have amazing facilities and teachers.

Im still soooooo confused.
What are the bad points about surrey?
also is it easy to make friends and share flats with people
are the rooms clean and is it an expensive place to live in?

Original post by ShafTJB
Im applying for engineering, and yourself?

psychology with a placement year at surrey
and for the other unis ive just applied for a normal 3 year course.
what dyu think then? surrey or warwick?

Quick Reply

Latest