The Student Room Group

Is it worth paying rent if only at uni 2 nights a week?

I've got my timetable now and I'm only at uni 3 consecutive days a week, so I plan to stay in uni halls Tuesday nights and Wednesday nights then go home Thursday afternoon. I'm not bothered about student life or societies, I've done all of that. I've considered commuting but my uni is too far away for it to be practical, it would be 2 1/2 hours each way.

Is it worth paying full rent for just two nights a week or has anybody had any alternative accommodation arrangements whilst at uni?
Original post by justag
I've got my timetable now and I'm only at uni 3 consecutive days a week, so I plan to stay in uni halls Tuesday nights and Wednesday nights then go home Thursday afternoon. I'm not bothered about student life or societies, I've done all of that. I've considered commuting but my uni is too far away for it to be practical, it would be 2 1/2 hours each way.

Is it worth paying full rent for just two nights a week or has anybody had any alternative accommodation arrangements whilst at uni?

Could you not just stay in a cheap B&B?
Be aware that although it may only be three days this term, you may need to be in more next term.
Perhaps find a job near your uni and then work the days you are free. That way, your rent is not going to waste so to speak..

However, if I was in your shoes, I would have commuted those 2 and a half hours.
Reply 4
Original post by EmilyJaneX
Could you not just stay in a cheap B&B?

I'm considering staying in a hostel - they're only 12 quid a night!

Original post by SmallTownGirl
Be aware that although it may only be three days this term, you may need to be in more next term.

Thanks but I know that this will be my timetable for the whole year.

Original post by Chukkeigh
Perhaps find a job near your uni and then work the days you are free. That way, your rent is not going to waste so to speak..

However, if I was in your shoes, I would have commuted those 2 and a half hours.

I go to uni in Coventry and live in London. I also have 9 am starts as well as a part time job at my uni. Commuting would probably kill me doing it 3 consecutive days. Thanks though

Quick Reply

Latest