The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Do we really need China?!

The content of this thread have little to do with abolishing the orient; don't worry! :biggrin:

I was actually just wondering about what to bring up to Durham. I've read through the "what to bring" list on DUO, but some of the things just seem bizarre to me.
Will I really need cutlery and crockery, given that I'm being catered for most of the time? Plus, washing materials such as tablets, conditioners and 20 pence pieces?

Sorry for my ignorance, I'm sure I'll understand all of this one day [soon hopefully haha]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
washing materials definitely yes.

cutlery/crockery not sure as i dont know what it's like in QC, i certainly had a fair amount of use for the mugs i took up; everyone likes a nice brew!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
TKR, I won't be in QC. I was just lucky enough to be born in that hole they call Stockton [not that I would spread detrimental words against my home town :wink:]

I'm going to be in Hatfield come October.
Whats the deal with washing materials? I don't understand the 20p thing.
I suppose its like Pauline Fowler esque? 20p in the machine and wait for it to wash?
Back when I was in 1st year we needed £1 for the washing machine and 50p for driers. It may have changed, in which case all the 50ps and pound coins I've collected are useless. Damn.

Mugs are essential. A couple of plates/bowls are useful for any toast or cereal you might fancy.

You need washing powder unless you're going to bring enough clothes for 10 weeks/absolutely reek by the end of term.
Reply 4
But saying all of that - in Hatfield you're like a 2min walk from the centre of town where you can buy some washing powder! Save on heavy luggage and just buy it when you get here :biggrin:
Good advice there Dobbs, in fact, do that with everything that it's feasable to do with - unless of course buying it at home means that mummy and daddy will be paying for it, then you *should* buy it at home - more money for beer :wink:
Reply 6
But enough about this, and back onto the 'abolishing the Orient thing' - I vote we remove it and give me their carpets.

Aside from that I would imagine a good supply of paper plates could be handy for your room - stop bits of food getting everywhere but needs no washing up. I went on holiday with 9 friends to Ireland last week and stayed in a small house- there was crockery there but we still got the paper plates for things like cakes and sandwiches because you can just brush them off if they're not too dirty, or bin them if they're too bad.
Bring glasses (i.e. tumblers, not spectacles) because drinking out of plastics in college bars/ming does get a bit irritating (not pintglasses - you'll end up with dozens by the end of the year :colondollar: .
If you like wine, then bring some decent wineglasses too. I've only ever seen those horrible pub-style ones in Durham, so you can't even nick some. :p:
Reply 8
Wine glasses?

Drinking wine out of pint glasses is the way to go. :biggrin:
Reply 9
Christo
Drinking wine out of pint glasses is the way to go. :biggrin:

There was no beer at a party I went to a while ago, so I drank wine. Problem was I treated it as if it was beer. Not a happy morning for my stomach the next day :mad: , though as always no sign of a headache :smile: .
No, only Champagne should be drunk out of pint glasses and mugs. Preferably by the crate, as happened at what is possibly the greatest party I've ever been to.
Reply 11
Washing powder, about 6... plates, mugs, glasses, bowls...

And you will be fine.
Reply 12
Crates of champagne out of pint glasses? Not exactly classy but sounds fun!

Though to be honest, I'll just take the beers. Repetition, the only way forward.
£1 coins for washing machines, 50p pieces for dryers. However, I recommend investing in a clothes horse. Clothes dry within 2 days, and you save money/trips back and forth to the laundry room.

Bring a couple of plates/bowls, some mugs, and buy a £2.97 Tesco Value cuttlery set - 8 forks, knives, tablespoons and teaspoons. You can treat this as a dead loss by the end of the year, they will get lost, but at 12p per item, who cares?

I am at Hatfield, by the way.
Clothes dried that way smell of damp. At least, they did in Moatside.
Reply 15
Mattmoy_2000
Clothes dried that way smell of damp.

all too true
Reply 16
uh damp is the worst smell ever
Not if you use washing powder.
Reply 18
ChrisH2107
£1 coins for washing machines, 50p pieces for dryers. However, I recommend investing in a clothes horse. Clothes dry within 2 days, and you save money/trips back and forth to the laundry room.

Bad idea for clothes horse, the damp air effects breathing, and can cause pneumonia. Its really bad for asthma sufferers too. Just a thought!
Reply 19
I always loved the smell of clean clothes drying in my room.

Latest

Trending

Trending