The Student Room Group

maths gcse exam help

I have pretty decent predicted grades in school, they range from As to Bs, and then have a single C that just puts me off completely. And whats worse is that the C is in maths, which is legit the core subject that rules over every single damned thing.
I had a maths exam today and I'm more than sure I didn't get any higher than a D.
We did get a list of topics to revise on, which I did revise on all day after school.
I felt not too bad yesterday and today nothing we got given to study was even on the stupid paper (v frustrating) and things from year 10 came up (I wanted to kill someone tbh) and then theres the things I did work on but just can't understand the question when its worded (always happens).
The point is that I revised yesterday and we also revised in lessons this week (not necessarily the right stuff but for every other maths paper, I revise like crazy and this is always the case!)
I can't seem to understand the formulas, maths, the worded questions, everything else that isnt D/C/B grade and just maths -.-! (though I am fine with some A grade stuff).
I also do fine in lesson and my book holds some alright quality maths. Its just the exam that confuses me ****less. I revise for so long but just can never seem to get a hold of it. Its really frustrating because I know I'll be moved down sets based on this exam and don't want anything less than an A for my maths GCSE grade.
Any way I can get familiar with exams and their overly complicated questions? +revision tips will also be v helpful.

Note: probably exaggerating lmao, I'm not too bad at math, its simply the exam that's the problem
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Not gonna lie, I'm not the best at maths but have been getting A's in tests in lesson by just revising using past papers. I recommend getting a few past papers for your exam board from the Internet and just working through the questions and everyime you are stuck on a question, Google the topic it is based on to build up an understanding. Once it has been explained you may be surprised that you can apply it to the wordy question quite easily- the key is identifying which method to use for each. Remember, hard work beats talent :wink:
Original post by ChelK321
Not gonna lie, I'm not the best at maths but have been getting A's in tests in lesson by just revising using past papers. I recommend getting a few past papers for your exam board from the Internet and just working through the questions and everyime you are stuck on a question, Google the topic it is based on to build up an understanding. Once it has been explained you may be surprised that you can apply it to the wordy question quite easily- the key is identifying which method to use for each. Remember, hard work beats talent :wink:

Yeah, I'll be having a go at that also during the week off :biggrin: I've a bunch of past exam papers (literally dozens) and 2 CDs to revise from which is hopefully sufficient enough for now!
Reply 3
Omg wow, sure sounds sufficient to me- good luck with those!:biggrin: I tend to procrastinate A LOT, I hope it doesn't creep up on you...:tongue:
Original post by ChelK321
Omg wow, sure sounds sufficient to me- good luck with those!:biggrin: I tend to procrastinate A LOT, I hope it doesn't creep up on you...:tongue:

haha, I'm literally the same (probably even worse) when it comes to procrastination and laziness! And I make all these promises on how I'm going to revise all day and just find my self laughing at the claims as soon as I get home :awesome::rofl2:
Original post by readingblack
I have pretty decent predicted grades in school, they range from As to Bs, and then have a single C that just puts me off completely. And whats worse is that the C is in maths, which is legit the core subject that rules over every single damned thing.
I had a maths exam today and I'm more than sure I didn't get any higher than a D.
We did get a list of topics to revise on, which I did revise on all day after school.
I felt not too bad yesterday and today nothing we got given to study was even on the stupid paper (v frustrating) and things from year 10 came up (I wanted to kill someone tbh) and then theres the things I did work on but just can't understand the question when its worded (always happens).
The point is that I revised yesterday and we also revised in lessons this week (not necessarily the right stuff but for every other maths paper, I revise like crazy and this is always the case!)
I can't seem to understand the formulas, maths, the worded questions, everything else that isnt D/C/B grade and just maths -.-! (though I am fine with some A grade stuff).
I also do fine in lesson and my book holds some alright quality maths. Its just the exam that confuses me ****less. I revise for so long but just can never seem to get a hold of it. Its really frustrating because I know I'll be moved down sets based on this exam and don't want anything less than an A for my maths GCSE grade.
Any way I can get familiar with exams and their overly complicated questions? +revision tips will also be v helpful.

Note: probably exaggerating lmao, I'm not too bad at math, its simply the exam that's the problem

In my gcse Maths I got an A and am now doing Maths at a-levels.
I had the exact same problem as you! I was bad at all the low grade D/C stuff but understood the A/A* stuff more as they weren't worded stuff.

Mainly do many many exam papers and familiarize yourself. You can never really prepare for the wordy ones though. The thing is the questions are the same but only in different context and you need to learn to recognise that. The only way is by doing multiple exam papers and you'll see how repetitive the wordy ones are in a way.

Don't panic over the wordy questions. Just be calm and work through them logically.
Original post by tcameron
In my gcse Maths I got an A and am now doing Maths at a-levels.
I had the exact same problem as you! I was bad at all the low grade D/C stuff but understood the A/A* stuff more as they weren't worded stuff.

Mainly do many many exam papers and familiarize yourself. You can never really prepare for the wordy ones though. The thing is the questions are the same but only in different context and you need to learn to recognise that. The only way is by doing multiple exam papers and you'll see how repetitive the wordy ones are in a way.

Don't panic over the wordy questions. Just be calm and work through them logically.

Yeah, I'll definitely make sure to practice tons of past papers and focus more on the worded questions.
Also, well done on the A and good luck for the year :biggrin:!
Hey! I was in a similar position as you are in now at the end start of year 11. I got 29% percent on a assessed test and fiinished year 11 with an A in IGCSE (5 marks of an A*). I know exactly how you feel being completely fine with the harder questions and crap with the easy ones. The way I did it I made individual folders for the five main topics; number, algebra, shape, data and differentiation(A-level bit). In the folders me and my maths tutor went through the theory work, did practice questions and had a **** loads of past paper questions in each folder for the specific topics and it worked. Honestly at the end you realise how easy gcse maths is when you go about it the right way, the key is to be consistent and efficient with your revision!
Original post by HarveySpecter97
Hey! I was in a similar position as you are in now at the end start of year 11. I got 29% percent on a assessed test and fiinished year 11 with an A in IGCSE (5 marks of an A*). I know exactly how you feel being completely fine with the harder questions and crap with the easy ones. The way I did it I made individual folders for the five main topics; number, algebra, shape, data and differentiation(A-level bit). In the folders me and my maths tutor went through the theory work, did practice questions and had a **** loads of past paper questions in each folder for the specific topics and it worked. Honestly at the end you realise how easy gcse maths is when you go about it the right way, the key is to be consistent and efficient with your revision!

Wow, thats honestly great :^_^:. Im glad it isn't/wasn't only me lol *phew*.
When did you start your revision (having a go at past papers) and started to organize bits and pieces?
I feel its quite early to start now, however I'd probably benefit from it, doing fair amounts every week and going over it at exam period
Reply 9
You can alway ask a friend (or teacher) to help you especially if they find maths easy as i learn by listening to friends explaining rather then text books and CD's.Also buy the maths book you use in school and try to finish all the question as practise makes perfect. Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest