The Student Room Group

Medication for public speaking anxiety...?

I am in my last year of uni and have to give several important presentations this year. However, I have a severe public speaking anxiety and I almost have panic attacks giving presentations. Even when we are just asked to say our name in front of a class, I get nervous, never mind going up to talk. I have tried all of the common sense things like breathing exercises etc. but nothing helps. I was wondering if it would be worth going to my GP to ask if I can get propanolol (a beta-blocker) and if this would work well or if it has side effects? Thanks
I'm not an expert in anxiety but I did used to have the worst stage fright ever (even though that doesn't compare)...

What's troubling you?
I would advise against it, simply because there are so many other options open.

I know you said you've tried breathing stuff, but when I first started in plays we were taught loads of little tricks to keep us calm. Have you tried wearing thermals? Being warm is the simplest way of making your voice not get that adrenaline warble. Even drinking hot water right before speaking would help.

Alternatively, why not just make a video for the presentation? Download some free software or use Vegas at uni computers. Show a load of really simple pictures, speak over the video into a microphone so that its all predecorded, stick it on youtube somewhere and tadah! Easy grade.
Reply 3
Original post by TheFailingNerd
I'm not an expert in anxiety but I did used to have the worst stage fright ever (even though that doesn't compare)...

What's troubling you?

I don't know what's wrong with me, but whenever I have to speak in front of people I basically start hyperventilating, my heart races, then I start shaking and I feel like I can't speak properly. This has been happening for years. In previous years I've just forced myself through it, but now presentations contribute towards a large part of my grade so I can't mess it up because of nerves. I'm not so bad in things like interviews where it's one to one.
Reply 4
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
I would advise against it, simply because there are so many other options open.

I know you said you've tried breathing stuff, but when I first started in plays we were taught loads of little tricks to keep us calm. Have you tried wearing thermals? Being warm is the simplest way of making your voice not get that adrenaline warble. Even drinking hot water right before speaking would help.

Alternatively, why not just make a video for the presentation? Download some free software or use Vegas at uni computers. Show a load of really simple pictures, speak over the video into a microphone so that its all predecorded, stick it on youtube somewhere and tadah! Easy grade.

Thanks, I will try that, but I'm not sure it would really help because mine is really rather severe.

We're not allowed to just make a video :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
I don't know what's wrong with me, but whenever I have to speak in front of people I basically start hyperventilating, my heart races, then I start shaking and I feel like I can't speak properly. This has been happening for years. In previous years I've just forced myself through it, but now presentations contribute towards a large part of my grade so I can't mess it up because of nerves. I'm not so bad in things like interviews where it's one to one.

Ok, let's take a different approach to this, how do you feel?
Is it the fact that people are looking at you? Or you're the centre of attention?
Reply 6
Ok, let's take a different approach to this, how do you feel?
Is it the fact that people are looking at you? Or you're the centre of attention?

Yeah, both I think. I have even spoken to a counsellor about this but I still get extremely panicky, hence why I was thinking of trying medication.
Yeah, both I think. I have even spoken to a counsellor about this but I still get extremely panicky, hence why I was thinking of trying medication.

Well if you do presentations try to think of it like that all the audience is looking at the presentation and not you. If you don't like looking at people while they're staring at you, try looking at the wall behind? Before you go on stage try to relax, drink some tea? Sorry to say but breathing exercises can help a lot. Just try to lower your heart rate.

Just try to remember that the only important person in your life is you and that's all you should care about. It doesn't matter what others think and I know it's hard to maintain this mental approach but I really do think it's good way to go about life.

Sorry if I'm completely no help to you :/
Reply 8
Well if you do presentations try to think of it like that all the audience is looking at the presentation and not you. If you don't like looking at people while they're staring at you, try looking at the wall behind? Before you go on stage try to relax, drink some tea? Sorry to say but breathing exercises can help a lot. Just try to lower your heart rate.

Just try to remember that the only important person in your life is you and that's all you should care about. It doesn't matter what others think and I know it's hard to maintain this mental approach but I really do think it's good way to go about life.

Sorry if I'm completely no help to you :/

No that is helpful, thank you :smile:
No that is helpful, thank you :smile:

No problem! :smile: It was great talking to you!
People can be given beta blockers for situational anxiety. They aren't taken regularly but just before or at the time of anxiety. They are effective at removing the bodily symptoms (eg: racing heart, sweaty, sick stomach) of anxiety. There's no direct effect on your state of mind, but having fewer bodily "jitters" may help you to feel more calm, and certainly less physically incapacitated by anxiety. I would expect your GP to prescribe these quite readily, though it depends on their attitudes/knowledge.

Millions of people use beta blockers for high blood pressure and they are routinely for heart conditions/after having a heart attack. They will not chemically mess with your head, people just instantly adopt this attitude when there is mention of using a medicine in the context of mental health - its frustrating. Beta blockers calm down the "agitated" side of the bodily nervous system which is responsible for the bodily symptoms of "fight or flight", there aren't any beta receptors in the brain. They can gave the happy psychological side effect of breaking the anxiety > physical symptoms > more anxiety vicious cycle though. Or maybe just help you to get through your important presentations whilst you are addressing the underlying anxiety problem.
(edited 9 years ago)
I am in my last year of uni and have to give several important presentations this year. However, I have a severe public speaking anxiety and I almost have panic attacks giving presentations. Even when we are just asked to say our name in front of a class, I get nervous, never mind going up to talk. I have tried all of the common sense things like breathing exercises etc. but nothing helps. I was wondering if it would be worth going to my GP to ask if I can get propanolol (a beta-blocker) and if this would work well or if it has side effects? Thanks

Hi
a couple of suggestions on how to make things a little easier for your self during a presentation

1. Try to focus at something or someone at the back of the room, if possible occasionally redirect your attention to the left and right to prevent it looking to stifled. This will mean you don't have to engage everyone in the room.

2. Try to pretend you are chatting to a close friend, who will not be judging or criticising you

3. Read out loud to your self, then to a close friend, to get familiar with what you are going to say

4. Better to speak slowly than fast

most people don't enjoy public speaking, the more you do it, the less daunting it is, believe me.

the very best of luck !

Quick Reply

Latest