The Student Room Group

German and.. Russian/spanish

Hi,
im currently studying German for A level and got an A for AS.I have long considered taking German and Russian in a joint honours, however recently realised that Russian might be too complex to pick up, as grammar isnt my strong point in German. Therefore i'm now considering studying Spanish in Russians place as it will be easier, i have studied french and italian to gsce so it wouldn't be too different..but then again i would like the challenge of Russian and think it would open up a lot of opportunites.so yeh thoughts anyone would be appreciated..
cheers
Reply 1
You want to do Russian. You got an A in German so you can't be an absolute tard when it comes to that sort of grammar - if you'd done French or something instead then I imagine you'd have almost no indication at all of your ability to cope with Russian grammar.
Even though I'm sure you'd end up loving Spanish if you chose to do that :wink: I'd say it's fairly obvious that you should do Russian.
Russian. You've always wanted to do it, whereas it sounds like you'd be taking Spanish just for the sake of it because you think it would be eaiser. You're more likely to do well in something you genuinely enjoy, especially with languages, where you need constant emersion outside of your course to really progress. Russian may be a challenge, but that should be part of its appeal- imagine how good you'll feel when you get to a high level in it.
Reply 3
Oh do Russian - it's absolutely class! Grammar is just something you've got to learn. It's not all bad, but Russian is bloody great.
yeh i would only be taking spanish since i think i'd find it easier.also the whole whats more useful-spanish or russian thing comes into it a bit..i think russian would prob have more job opportunities and be more varied and tie in with german but then im not sure about spanish really. has anyone taken russian on 'ab initio' at uni and coped or anything?
Reply 5
del_piero030405
yeh i would only be taking spanish since i think i'd find it easier.also the whole whats more useful-spanish or russian thing comes into it a bit..i think russian would prob have more job opportunities and be more varied and tie in with german but then im not sure about spanish really. has anyone taken russian on 'ab initio' at uni and coped or anything?

There are plenty of people on here who have done just that. One may pop along any minute, knowing this place. :biggrin:

:tsr2:

Latest

Trending

Trending