The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL 2015 Medicine applicants

Hey i thought that I'd create a thread for UCL medicine 2015 entry. who else is applying here? I'm thinking of it but I'm not sure as I don't have a contrasting subject and my AS grades weren't that great :frown: I don't actauly know many people applying to ucl this year most my mates seem to be going for imperial for some reason

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by chrissy96x
Hey i thought that I'd create a thread for UCL medicine 2015 entry. who else is applying here? I'm thinking of it but I'm not sure as I don't have a contrasting subject and my AS grades weren't that great :frown: I don't actauly know many people applying to ucl this year most my mates seem to be going for imperial for some reason

Hey I am! It's my top choice and I really hope to get in:redface: BMAT is scary though lol. Looking through that 400 page book for section 2 is tiring :angry: Nope I don't have a contrasting subject either, it's not necessary. Got 4As and predicted 4A*s :biggrin:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
I've applied as well :smile:
Reply 3
I've applied to UCL!
I'll be a graduate though.. it's my top choice just struggling through BMAT revision whilst being in third year is so difficult and time consuming!
Applied to UCL woop! BMAT is NOT going well though :/ what are people's stats?
I've applied to UCL! anyone know what the interview is supposed to be like?
Original post by chrissy96x

I have applied to UCL! I don't have a contrasting subject either and I don't think it really matters that much.
:smile:
Original post by Shaily_x
Hey I am! It's my top choice and I really hope to get in:redface: BMAT is scary though lol. Looking through that 400 page book for section 2 is tiring :angry: Nope I don't have a contrasting subject either, it's not necessary. Got 4As and predicted 4A*s :biggrin:

Same as you.

Top choice for me as well.
BMAT is deadly of course - how are you preparing and what scores are you getting at the moment?
I also don't have a contrasting subject!
My predictions and AS are same as yours!!!

What a coincidence! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Good luck to you, hope we all get offers! :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TheProblematique
I've applied to UCL! anyone know what the interview is supposed to be like?

Apparently they ask you questions on your BMAT essay and have a copy of it! Eeek!! Here's the interview scoring guideline. But I'm so scared for interviews, don't know how to prepare! :smile:
Original post by GDbubbles
Applied to UCL woop! BMAT is NOT going well though :/ what are people's stats?

BMAT is not going well for me either. I am terrified and it's coming soon! :eek:
How are you preparing/ what are your plans to prepare?

Getting around high 4s right now. How about you? Hoping to exceed 6 though. It's so tricky!

Original post by lilixxx1000
I've applied as well :smile:

Nice! Me too :smile:

Good luck! :biggrin: How is BMAT going- what are you getting at the moment? How are you preparing?

Original post by jalwxx
I've applied to UCL!
I'll be a graduate though.. it's my top choice just struggling through BMAT revision whilst being in third year is so difficult and time consuming!

Wow graduate entry seems so hard. What's degree are you working towards at the moment? How are you preparing for BMAT?
Original post by champion1
Apparently they ask you questions on your BMAT essay and have a copy of it! Eeek!! Here's the interview scoring guideline. But I'm so scared for interviews, don't know how to prepare! :smile:

Thank you! :smile: Yeah I got really worried about interviews a week ago but now my stress for BMAT has completely overtaken my interview stress :P
Do you know if its meant to be like a relaxed, unstructured interview in which they want to get to know you better, or will it be like a stressful one where the interviewers act like you're a complete idiot or give you loads of random weird questions?
Thank you! :smile: Yeah I got really worried about interviews a week ago but now my stress for BMAT has completely overtaken my interview stress :P
Do you know if its meant to be like a relaxed, unstructured interview in which they want to get to know you better, or will it be like a stressful one where the interviewers act like you're a complete idiot or give you loads of random weird questions?

The thing that scares me is how I've heard from somewhere (not sure where now) that they try to put you at unease e.g. by the interviewer being rude to see how you handle pressurised situations. That's not nice!

Also apparently the questions are variable. Someone correct me if I am wrong as I'm not sure if this is true.

How is BMAT going for you? I am so scared for it! What are you currently getting and what are you planning to do to revise with the time left?

It's coming up so soon now and I am worried about it. My focus will be BMAT for now. Good luck! :smile:
The thing that scares me is how I've heard from somewhere (not sure where now) that they try to put you at unease e.g. by the interviewer being rude to see how you handle pressurised situations. That's not nice!

Also apparently the questions are variable. Someone correct me if I am wrong as I'm not sure if this is true.

How is BMAT going for you? I am so scared for it! What are you currently getting and what are you planning to do to revise with the time left?

It's coming up so soon now and I am worried about it. My focus will be BMAT for now. Good luck! :smile:

Yeah that's what I heard too! But I wasn't sure if I was getting it confused with another uni.

Lool bmat is a bit of joke right now bc I haven't even started past papers yet. But I'm starting tomorrow and half term starts on thursday so I'm gonna really knuckle down then. I've nearly finished all my notes using the specification and the assumed knowledge guide they gave us (I mainly annotated the spec and wrote more detailed notes on a separate sheet when needed). I've made a start on the 'preparing for bmat' book and plan to (hopefully) finish that and all my notes before half term. Over half term, I plan to do around 2 papers a day (3 maybe on a few ambitious ones) until I've got one paper left. Then hopefully I'll do some TSA papers if I've got time? And the last paper I'll do on the day before the exam. Wbu?
Yeah that's what I heard too! But I wasn't sure if I was getting it confused with another uni.

Lool bmat is a bit of joke right now bc I haven't even started past papers yet. But I'm starting tomorrow and half term starts on thursday so I'm gonna really knuckle down then. I've nearly finished all my notes using the specification and the assumed knowledge guide they gave us (I mainly annotated the spec and wrote more detailed notes on a separate sheet when needed). I've made a start on the 'preparing for bmat' book and plan to (hopefully) finish that and all my notes before half term. Over half term, I plan to do around 2 papers a day (3 maybe on a few ambitious ones) until I've got one paper left. Then hopefully I'll do some TSA papers if I've got time? And the last paper I'll do on the day before the exam. Wbu?

I'm getting around 4 at the moment for BMAT and doing worse in section 1 than 2. The thing that worries me is I've been working as best as I can and I'm still struggling. I have completed How to Master the BMAT book as well as the Official Preparing BMAT book and Succeeding in the BMAT book. However I am finding section 1 very difficult. With section 2, the mistakes I make are just silly mistakes and I can quickly understand after looking at the answers. I am planning to complete remaining past papers over half term and finish the 400 Questions BMAT book. With essays I'm just writing 1-2 every week, but I don't know how good they are because it's kind of hard to mark.
Reply 15
I am so excited to be applying to UCL! I am 21 year old mature student (i'm not bald tho) and decided to pursue a career, coming back to A levels only to get in to med school!
UCL is my number one choice, and being slightly older than y'alls and on my fiftieth gap year should mean that - IF - I get an interview I would get it in december? So I could let you know how it goes!
I am not a A level re-sitter, achieving A*AAa this summer. Currently prepping for the BMAT, having gone to BMAT crash course and slowly working through the past papers (Just did section 2 - 2004)

How are we all feeling? I'm guessing you all got your UCL portal link already?

Charlie :smile: x
Reply 16
I'm getting around 4 at the moment for BMAT and doing worse in section 1 than 2. The thing that worries me is I've been working as best as I can and I'm still struggling. I have completed How to Master the BMAT book as well as the Official Preparing BMAT book and Succeeding in the BMAT book. However I am finding section 1 very difficult. With section 2, the mistakes I make are just silly mistakes and I can quickly understand after looking at the answers. I am planning to complete remaining past papers over half term and finish the 400 Questions BMAT book. With essays I'm just writing 1-2 every week, but I don't know how good they are because it's kind of hard to mark.

If I were you I'd focus on maths, speeding up mental arithmetic, perfecting times table, multiplication, division, percentages, re-arranging formulae (maybe a couple hours a day intense practise) as it plays a underpinning role in the BMAT, which should not only help you in the maths questions, which are ubiquitous, but will also allow you more time on the other questions, and give you more confidence! Listen, I'm not a naturally bright chap and have to work hard, so let's encourage each other and work smart!

Reply 17

Sounds like your prep would be silly amounts more than other peeps, so as long as you get on and do it, you should be confident

Reply 18
i'm third year biomedical sciences at the moment!
Been using the 400q and past papers for the S1 and done a few S2 sections :smile:
Hoping my native wit and university knowledge will pull me through for the essay!!
Hey, I'm a UCL applicant too (who'd have guessed on this thread:wink: ) where else have people applied?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending