The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by halamadrid777
No, I'm a non-EU student :smile: It'll be my firm (if I get rejections from Sheffield and Manchester :biggrin::biggrin: ) Lol!!

Wow so are you applying having gone to none of your choices?! That's a huge leap of faith what if you get there and it's terrible!!
It is not difficult to determine who to give offers to for many universities. Obviously it depends a lot on the no of applicants per place. If there are only 4 applicants for every place the university may make offers to every applicant who meets the minimum cut off point assessment, this may be 3 out of 4 applicants. Statistics hv shown that about 40+% miss their predicted grades by at least one grade. And many may not even choose the uni to be firm or insurance. Only very competitive courses or competitive universities like LSE face a bigger problem as the no of qualified applicants snd the no of applicants per place (up to 14:1 for LSE Econs Law Mgmt) where qualified applicants to places may be 8:1 (guess) and most offered would either insure if their firm is Oxbridge or firm if not. So unis in such situations hv a bigger need in identifying their best and most preferred applicants. In short many universities are able to reply with their decisions early, some within days and some within a couple of weeks. Is this the experience of those who have gone through the process previously?
Wow, surprised that people have heard already when there are many who've not even sent their applications off yet! Congrats to those with offers already, by the way ^_^ I was told that it depends on the uni - some give it out straight away, as soon as they start getting applications, and others don't do anything until after the final deadline, to give everyone a fair chance. I think this is better actually, as it means everyone gets to be seen evenly, not just whoever was quickest, which seems a bit harsh to me. Some schools don't start planning until now, for their students!
Original post by YellowJane
Wow, surprised that people have heard already when there are many who've not even sent their applications off yet! Congrats to those with offers already, by the way ^_^ I was told that it depends on the uni - some give it out straight away, as soon as they start getting applications, and others don't do anything until after the final deadline, to give everyone a fair chance. I think this is better actually, as it means everyone gets to be seen evenly, not just whoever was quickest, which seems a bit harsh to me. Some schools don't start planning until now, for their students!

Only the most competitive unis need to wait till a good no of applications have been received .... what LSE calls a gathered field ... before they analyse and compare those gathered. Most other unis dont need to do it because they can offer everyone who applies and may still not fill up the places.
On October 2nd, 2 weeks after sending of my application, Winchester gave me an unconditional offer for Drama and English. I am hoping to get one more this week but I don't think it'll happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yourgirlbribri
On October 2nd, 2 weeks after sending of my application, Winchester gave me an unconditional offer for Drama and English. I am hoping to get one more this week but I don't think it'll happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You may be surprised yet.
Original post by yourgirlbribri

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why do you think you got an unconditional

Posted from TSR Mobile
I sent my application off on the 25th of November having applied to study Law at Cardiff, Leicester, Surrey, Liverpool and Nottingham Trent. I got all confirmation emails and waited. I got my first offer from Nottingham Trent on the 27th of November. Then Cardiff my top choice on the 2nd of December and then yesterday the 04th of December I got Leicester and Liverpool. I am still waiting for Surrey. But I was surprised that it was that fast. Also I think that if your personal statement is strong then they are more likely to accept you, but sometimes depending on the department they change.
For example, my friend sent off his application for bio medicine at Cardiff, Leicester, Nottingham Trent, Birmingham, and Royal Holloway. He got his first offer from Nottingham Trent on 11th of November, and then Royal Holloway the 13th of November, and then Leicester he got the 30th of November and Birmingham he got the 3rd of December. He is still waiting for Cardiff even though I sent my application later than him.
So as I was saying depending on the department it varies.

Latest

Trending

Trending