The Student Room Group

The Running Thread Mk II

Scroll to see replies

The last time I checked, I did 10k in 45 minutes.

Quite enjoying my evening jogs at the moment and will up the cardio (now that I've commenced my cut).
Increaed my distance today by 0.2 miles :h: Aiming for 8 on the weekend and then 10 the following week :yep:
Original post by Slowbro93
Increaed my distance today by 0.2 miles :h: Aiming for 8 on the weekend and then 10 the following week :yep:

Seen your Strava - I love that park.
I have an important fitness test on Friday, so I'm looking for advice on how much rest to leave myself beforehand.

I went for a run yesterday as well as doing press-ups & sit-ups and feel a little bit sore from it (only a little bit, I should stress). Would it be better for me to run today & tomorrow before having Thursday off before my fitness test? Or should I rest today, run tomorrow, rest Thursday before my fitness test?
Original post by TornadoGR4
I have an important fitness test on Friday, so I'm looking for advice on how much rest to leave myself beforehand.

I went for a run yesterday as well as doing press-ups & sit-ups and feel a little bit sore from it (only a little bit, I should stress). Would it be better for me to run today & tomorrow before having Thursday off before my fitness test? Or should I rest today, run tomorrow, rest Thursday before my fitness test?

Doesn't matter that much tbh, maybe a longer run today, shorter tomorrow then rest should you decide on running both days
Original post by Angry cucumber
Doesn't matter that much tbh, maybe a longer run today, shorter tomorrow then rest should you decide on running both days

Ah cheers pal. I'm a bit achey in the calves, abs & shoulders, so didn't want to put myself at risk of aggravating anything so close to this fitness test

I'll go steady & long today before doing a 'trial run' of what I'll be doing on Friday to make sure I can pass it.
New 5000m track PB! 15:33.36. Taken 16.6 seconds off the old one.
First run post blood donation and it was horrible. Felt so slow and tired.

Slowest run since December and my first time over 27 mins since then. A whole 2.5 mins slower than my last run :sigh:
Passed my fitness test, which is pretty great, as I was ****ting bricks before & during it. Though run part of it was solid, easiest part of it & I was well in control & comfortably under the pass time. Press-ups & sit-ups were more difficult, so I'll need to focus on those more.

My next fitness test will involve a bleep test, where I need to achieve 9.10 on it. This is complete jargon to me. All I know is it's supposedly a lot more difficult than running a 2.4km in 10 minutes. So to train for this, as it's my understanding that bleep tests are more stamina orientated, would I be better off putting in longer runs? Are bleep tests very physically intense or is it just a test of pure stamina?

I estimate I have a good 2 months or so before this stage, so time is on my side. But I don't want to turn up just scraping past, huffing & puffing, bringing up the rear. I don't want to be the leader & 'win' or anything, just be comfortable etc.
I've upped my running a bit recently

I started running a couple of miles everyday after work, quick 20 minute run.

Just did an hour run, I'd say it was around 6 miles.

Doing it mainly to get leaner so I can build core strength. Not really a competitive runner.
Passed my fitness test, which is pretty great, as I was ****ting bricks before & during it. Though run part of it was solid, easiest part of it & I was well in control & comfortably under the pass time. Press-ups & sit-ups were more difficult, so I'll need to focus on those more.

My next fitness test will involve a bleep test, where I need to achieve 9.10 on it. This is complete jargon to me. All I know is it's supposedly a lot more difficult than running a 2.4km in 10 minutes. So to train for this, as it's my understanding that bleep tests are more stamina orientated, would I be better off putting in longer runs? Are bleep tests very physically intense or is it just a test of pure stamina?

I estimate I have a good 2 months or so before this stage, so time is on my side. But I don't want to turn up just scraping past, huffing & puffing, bringing up the rear. I don't want to be the leader & 'win' or anything, just be comfortable etc.

Nice one on the 2.4km test!

As for the bleep test, I've not done one before, but I do know it's quite a bit different to running. You have to run a short distance, stop and turn around, and do that over and over. The stopping and starting and changing direction is what makes it different. For that reason you can get bad runners who post high scores in the test and high level runners who do badly at it.

I've not idea if people train for that kind of stuff, but I guess you could do something similar to simulate it?
Original post by TooEasy123

As for the bleep test, I've not done one before, but I do know it's quite a bit different to running. You have to run a short distance, stop and turn around, and do that over and over. The stopping and starting and changing direction is what makes it different. For that reason you can get bad runners who post high scores in the test and high level runners who do badly at it.

I've not idea if people train for that kind of stuff, but I guess you could do something similar to simulate it?

Is it the one where you run between the beeps and they get closer together? You keep going up a level until you can't make it back before the beep?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by myblueheaven339
Is it the one where you run between the beeps and they get closer together? You keep going up a level until you can't make it back before the beep?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's the one, yeah

Original post by TooEasy123

I played 5-a-side once a week which is very stop-start (although I've missed the last 3 months as I struggled to shake off an impact injury and didn't want to aggravate anything)

I'd be fine if the bleep test was more stamina focussed than the 2.4k, I'm better at stamina than shorter, harder runs. I'm feeling good on the running on a whole, though. I need to improve my press ups & sit ups quite a bit, but I can do that by just churning them out every other day.
Six weeks today until my half marathon, can't believe how quickly it's coming around! Any advice on the best way to spend these next six weeks to get best results?

Also I'm getting "stump syndrome" pretty much every time I run atm, it's so infuriating. I've tried getting shoes fitted, different socks, no socks, different lacing techniques, warming up my feet in a bath beforehand, but I just keep losing the sensation in my left foot somewhere around about the 5th kilometre. It often eases off after about 10k, and stopping to wiggle my toes does seem to help but I don't want to do that come race day! Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated if anyone has suffered with something similar!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just ran 2.7 km in 13:19:84

Is that slow or very slow?
Original post by tsruser4
Just ran 2.7 km in 13:19:84

Is that slow or very slow?

Male or female?

For female that is pretty good I believe

For male, it's not great, but certainly not a bad starting point for a beginner! Are you training for anything specifically?
Male or female?

For female that is pretty good I believe

For male, it's not great, but certainly not a bad starting point for a beginner! Are you training for anything specifically?

Male. Not training for anything specific just wanna get fitter and faster.

Is under 12 mins a good aim?
Original post by tsruser4
Male. Not training for anything specific just wanna get fitter and faster.

Is under 12 mins a good aim?

Yeah, that'd be a fair aim. It's a strange distance to use though. If you want to get overall fitter I'd suggest doing longer runs. For shorter, faster runs, 2.4km is a good distance as that is the distance the Armed Forces use for pre-joining fitness requirements (RAF 11:11, RAF Regt 10:30, Paras 9:30(?) etc.), so you'll see quite a lot of discussion about that particular distance across the web.
Yeah, that'd be a fair aim. It's a strange distance to use though. If you want to get overall fitter I'd suggest doing longer runs. For shorter, faster runs, 2.4km is a good distance as that is the distance the Armed Forces use for pre-joining fitness requirements (RAF 11:11, RAF Regt 10:30, Paras 9:30(?) etc.), so you'll see quite a lot of discussion about that particular distance across the web.

Yeah I do 2 hill interval sessions, 1 long run and then 2.7 km run. It is a funny distance, it's Waterloo lake at roundhay park (I'm from Leeds) :smile:
Ran 3000 in 8:51.35 last night. PB by a shade under two seconds. Averaging a shade under 71s/400m.

Never, ever had two track PBs in April before. Not even when I was a kid :excited:

Quick Reply

Latest